The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Reef Aquarium

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this up as a help to new reef keepers!

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So during the algae bloom process, when the green hair algae comes in, we just let it go crazy? And it’ll eventually go away?

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So during the algae bloom process, when the green hair algae comes in, we just let it go crazy? And it’ll eventually go away?

Some people add a clean up crew at this point to keep the GHA at bay.

attatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not finding that my cleanup crew does this effectively. Anyone want to chime in on what ther cleanup crew looks like and volume of each species for tank size? Thanks

attatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not finding that my cleanup crew does this effectively. Anyone want to chime in on what ther cleanup crew looks like and volume of each species for tank size? Thanks

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would never add more than 2 large turbo snails and 2-4 hermit crabs per 100 gallon.. The smallers snails IMO don't do much for algae control and just seem to die quickly. Turbos have a massive appetite. Too many hermit crabs then they will eventually just kill each other or the snails if not given enough space. Perhaps add a few and see how they do and if you need more clean up crew add them later. I've found few is better then many

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out @reefcleaners. They are a sponsor here and come highly recommended by many. John is top notch along with his products including clean up crews. He has a great chart by tank size on his site that many people use and have had success with.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 150 gallon tank, should I add the rock before the sand? Or should I add the sand, then sit the rock on top of it?

Alaura02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the final stage (hair algea) fade/die off on it's own and completely disappear with help of CUC or will you need to aid in cleaning it up?

Vancjj88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome article wish i had of read this 7 years ago my first tank would have went so much smoother. Lol

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reread sections of this every couple months. Great article.

So we're closing on our house at the end of June. Within the next ~18 months, I'd like to start a bigger tank. I have been keeping a 13-gallon AIO nano for just over a year. I love it, but now I want to move up to something bigger. I want to do LPS with a few hardy SPS and-a long way down the road-clams. Where is the best place/source to read about different types of coral and their requirements? I have the Borneman book Aquarium Corals. Is that good/recent enough?

Thanks!

Cheers,
rant

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back