Mike's Red Sea Reefer 525 XL build

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by mtamorrow, Jan 3, 2018.

1. mtamorrow

mtamorrow still learning, still confused R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Hello all. I have my new tank arriving in a day or 2 so since I am snowed in, in our new home in Bluffton / Hilton Head today, I figured I might as well get this started. I started my 1st tank, an IM30L in Oct of 2015. In Nov of 17 I shut it down to make this move for my job. pic before shut down is below.

Now I have an entire room in the house dedicated to this build an I am stoked! Fortunately I have a wife of 26 years who enjoys the" looking at it" part of the hobby!
    I will start off with a list of equipment I either already have and will reuse or what I have recently purchased. also, what's left to get.

RSR 525 XL - black
    Maxspect XF250 gyre w controller and battery backup
    Jebao DCS6000 and battery backup
    Aqualink T1
    vividcreativeaquatics ultimate return, Y with 3/4" flare nozzles
    reefcleaner rock 80lb
    aquamax tonga shelf 50lb
    aquamax rubble rock 10lb
    ADJ PC-100A power strip
    Kleen water 200 gpd upgrade kit for RODI
    Aquatic life booster pump
    Aquamaxx coneS C0-1,
    AquaMaxx FR-M internal reactor
    Tunze care magnet 0220.020
    via aqua 500w titanium heater
    via aqua 200w titanium heater
    Carib sea dry aragonite special grade sand 80lb
    Tunze ATO
    Seneye
    Turbo aquatics L2 algae scrubber

still to buy -
    maxspect razorX or Maxspect recurve - availability for both is supposed to be in January

Please feel free to make any comments or suggestions, or ask me why I chose what I did.

Pics and more to come very shortly from my phone. Its way to easy to use tapatalk for that!

tank.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    groovyCJ likes this.
    Tags:

2. kevyg

kevyg Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Beautiful tank, can't wait to see what you can do with the new setup!

3. mtamorrow

Since I have moved to an area where power outages and hurricanes happen, I used 285,000 Marriott Rewards points to get this:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I still have to do some final assembly, but at least it’s here. I was pretty happy to find out that this house is already setup for a whole house generator. Flip a switch, plug it in, and it will power up the main panel through a whole house surge protector as well.

NowGlazeIT and Zack Klabunde like this.
  4. mtamorrow

Thanks kevyg!

5. mtamorrow

When I shut down my tank I sold all my fish and rose bubble to one person. They all got along so well for 2 years. I had a rose bubble that hosted my OC, a 3 1/2” royal gramma, a flametail blenny, and a purple firefish.

I was also fortunate to have a friend from my local reef club come to my house and take my corals and mini maxi to his home and keep them for me until this tank is up and ready. In return for his efforts I’m going to pay his gas for him and his wife to come down to HH and bring my corals. Free room and board and all the fresh seafood they can eat!

6. mtamorrow

Here is where the new tank is going to be setup. I have my empty IM30L sitting there now. I still have to get 2, 20amp GFI circuits installed for the new setup. Hope to get this done soon![​IMG]

7. mtamorrow

50lbs tonga plate and 10lbs of rubble (branch, plate, and rock) still cookin!
    [​IMG]

50lbs of reefcleaners rock. 30lb more coming tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

I bought more rock than I will need. I wanted to have plenty of good pieces to work with. The rest will go in the sump for a refugium.

Zack Klabunde likes this.
  8. mtamorrow

I scored this huge barnacle cluster at a beach shop a couple weeks ago. I’m planning on using it to cover the overflow box. I hope it works out and looks good!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Firedawg1983 likes this.
  9. mtamorrow

This is Eli. He will be my #1 fan and helper throughout this build!
    [​IMG]

10. mtamorrow

This will be my fish and coral “stuff” storage closet. It’s about 2 1/2 ft from where the left side of the tank will be. I removed 2 shelves and move 1 of them up to make room for a small storage rack and a 32 gallon brute that I will use for my RODI Top off via my Tunze ATO.
    [​IMG]

11. chefjpaul

chefjpaul Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Nice.
    Looking forward to this build

mtamorrow likes this.
  12. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Congrats!

mtamorrow likes this.
  13. mtamorrow

Current mixing station. Temporary of course!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Humphrey likes this.
  14. lazylivin

lazylivin Well-Known Member

This is going to be awesme! Subscribed

mtamorrow likes this.
  15. Humphrey

Humphrey Active Member

A great start. Who needs Marriott points when you can have a generator! Following.

Zack Klabunde and mtamorrow like this.
  16. kellyj

kellyj Member

Following along. Brings back good memories of when I started out. Not sure how much help Eli is going to be, he looks pretty lazy to me.

Zack Klabunde and mtamorrow like this.
  17. mtamorrow

Awesome to wake up, be snowed in, in Hilton head, and see 3 of my OHIO REEF friends!

Thanks for tagging along guys, this is gonna be fun!

Zack Klabunde, Humphrey and lazylivin like this.
  18. mtamorrow

Here is 50lbs of Aquamaxx Tonga shelf, and 10 lbs of Aquamaxx rubble (branch, shelf, and rock mix). The rubble is in the upper right.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  19. mtamorrow

And 50 lbs of reefcleaners rock up front. 30 more lbs coming tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  20. mtamorrow

I decided to buy more rock than needed in order to have lots of good pieces to choose from. And since I will be using a skimmer and algae scrubber for nutrient export, I will use what’s left of the sump for a refugium and put some of the leftover rock in there.

Zack Klabunde likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted