OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update. Ended up picking up a small magnetic frag rack. Picked up 4 new frags. One frag of fire and ice zoa about 10 heads and one frag nipi zoas about 10 heads, a frag of some green palys and a nuclear green toadstool frag. The toadstool is a little mad at me dipping it still lol.

IMG_0953.jpg
IMG_0954.jpg
IMG_0957.jpg

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
little update, Properly installed the spin stream, moved my hammer , zoas , toad stool, candy cane and birdsnest around and added a rock to the back. now everything seems to be happy. Happy with the way the tank is looking. looking into making a chaeto reactor later this year and upgrading the 13 year old hydor powerhead soon lol

IMG_1053.jpg

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so last night my ato failed, here is a few posts of the progression of last nights event.

im not sure how it happend but my two float switches and timer stuck on and my ato dumped 2 gallons of kalkwasser saturated water into my tank a10 mins ago its 2am at the moment lol its going to be a long night -.- ph is at 8.4 and salinity is at 1.020 so its not that bad but stressful on the corals none the less

So after no sleeping, drying the house, fixing the salinity and alkalinity. I am tired lol so I changed a gallon of water out and replaces with water I mixed till I got it to 1.026 again. The alk is at 12.2 which is not much higher than my salt mixes to. my ca is 410. Im going to give the tank a few days to consume the alk and see what the damages are to the corals. So far my toadstool has a little bit of brusing the rest of the corals arw closed so I cant tell till lights on later today.

So both my float switches internally stuck on. Was checking them and removed the magnets and they were still on. Had to give them a tap. Replaces with new float switches. Checked my timer and figured out the issue. Apparently if I switch the timer on and back to auto it stays on. I have to switch it off then back to auto -.- lets see how the corals recover from this one. Will be manually dosing two part for a while, while the new switches prove tbey work with just rodi water

so I am pleased to report that the rapid action was a success. rewired the ato and adjusted to water level, corrected timer issues. did not put kalk in the ato for now want to watch the consumption to see how much concentration to mix in. I was sweating bullets. fed the tank and everyones is eating nom nom nom.

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after ato failure and wcs to correct salinity my parameters were at
Salinity 1.026
Alkalinity 12.1 dkh
Calcium 410ppm
Magnesium 1245ppm

24hours after I tested and now they are at

Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 2ppm
Phosphate 0.25ppm
Alkalinity 11.5dkh - .6 dkh of consumption in 24 hours
Calcium 400ppm - 10ppm consumption in 24 hours
Magnesium 1275ppm

looks like I was off by a drop or two on the mag on the first test. implemented phosguard last night and changed carbon.
going to start dosing techm magnesium to get my mag up to 1320-1350 and going to start dosing two part esv bionic to supplement consumption till I can make sure the new float switches and timer are working well enough to mix kalk again.

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update was feeding the tank and looking at a pandora paly frag I have up front and I see a little one that looks to be sprouting from the base unlike the others. When I take a closer look it looked like a tiny aptasia. I have had this frag for 42 days exactly. Pulled the frag out and looked it up and down with a magnifying glass in a small container. habachied the frag down to 5 frags and tossed the part with the aptasia attached. Checked the whole tank every square in with a highpowered flash light. Looks clean only time will tell. Its the only frag I bought from a offer up seller -.-

Im hoping I wont need to start a battle with aptasia like @stella1979 had.

Have syringes and kalk paste at the ready and worse comes to worse berghia.

Any recommendations or advice is welcome

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little update, I figured out the mystery of my missing and declining zoas. Found some amphipods grabbing and eating a few polyps of my fire and ice and gorilla nipples zoas. Grabbed all my zoa frags and pulled them out of the tank. Mixed up 10ml of marine melafix in 1 liter of saltwater mix and dipped all my frags for 5 minutes. after I transfered them to my 5.5g pico tank and they all seem open and happy now :)

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so after much suggestion on two other posts and forums I am either thinking of picking up a tiny sixline wrasse just to take care of the over population of pods or if I can find a affordable Black Barred Goby (Priolepis nocturna). any experience with the black barred goby or suggestions would be welcome. also considered a small clown goby which some say will eat amphipods.

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update tried purchasing three different sixline wrasses and they have not passed qt for more than a 4 days :( On a better note upgraded my light to a Kessil A160we at 25% this thing is stronger than my amazon knockoff light. Now I just need to find a spectral controller. Had to remove all my remaining pandora palys from the tank because the amphipods started to munch on them also :( took a little video for you all to enjoy.

IMG_1285.jpg
IMG_1287.jpg
IMG_1289.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back