OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jaw dropping! Bravo! Beautiful job, what an inspiration! I love the incorporation of the mangroves, you've inspired me to do the same. Thank you so much for sharing. Tanks like yours are why I'm in this hobby.

Thanks! At times I get obsessed with what isn’t doing well and forget all the good. And I really should have cleaned the pumps.

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread, so I have a lot of catching up to do but so far it's amazing. I'm dealing with algae right now but my tank is only 4 months old or so, I'd love to have you check it out and lend your advice some time!

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread, so I have a lot of catching up to do but so far it's amazing. I'm dealing with algae right now but my tank is only 4 months old or so, I'd love to have you check it out and lend your advice some time!

I’ll try and find your thread. Not sure if you run a refugium or not. For me the addition of a bit of iron really helped it grow and get back to reducing nitrates. I have some algae too, you can see it in the video. I don’t stress it unless it gets out of hand. If you are just doing water changes, do more lol. Check if the algae is bryopsis because that can be treated. Honestly the more coral I got, the easier things went, as they use nutrients also. The secret with fuges is to out compete the algae in the tank, so even if your numbers are low, you may need more light, etc in the fuge. If you have stuff doing badly, or dying, take it out. Keeping it and letting it slowly die will just add more nutrients. That’s all I got!

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, SO colorful! Great tank! I also love the mangroves incorporated in the display. Do their roots go to the sandbed? And did you put some type of mud or anything mixed with the sand where the roots are? (Sorry, that may be a dumb question, I'm not even sure if mangroves need to be planted in mud or sand).

Also, you guys were talking about buying some of your corals from member aquavista; would you mind sharing his website or where you go to see what corals he has available/where to order? Thanks a bunch, there are so many vendors out there, it would be nice to have a trusted one that has great and rare-ish (or old school? Like blue tort, pink paletta, etc..) stuff in stock consistently, that I can keep going back to. Thank you!

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, SO colorful! Great tank! I also love the mangroves incorporated in the display. Do their roots go to the sandbed? And did you put some type of mud or anything mixed with the sand where the roots are? (Sorry, that may be a dumb question, I'm not even sure if mangroves need to be planted in mud or sand).

Also, you guys were talking about buying some of your corals from member aquavista; would you mind sharing his website or where you go to see what corals he has available/where to order? Thanks a bunch, there are so many vendors out there, it would be nice to have a trusted one that has great and rare-ish (or old school? Like blue tort, pink paletta, etc..) stuff in stock consistently, that I can keep going back to. Thank you!

Thanks. The roots are probably at the sand, but I haven’t seen them traveling along the bottom yet. I don’t add any mud or anything to the sand. I started them as propagules stuck into the rockwork, and they’ve just grown downwards. If you search for aquavista99 you can find his past sale threads.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He gives Adam from battle Corals a run for his money esp since he isn’t a business they are the only people I’ll order from

That’s a pretty bold statement. True but bold[emoji23] I like Adam @Battlecorals because he is within walking distance from me[emoji6]

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little photo update

36C2B1AC-3D98-440A-931C-DFF532AF1AD6.jpeg

F3493B85-78F6-441D-8700-C95AE7E5A3CA.jpeg
F9B3AD6C-C351-4F64-866A-1C068225E6D2.jpeg
264E1210-62D6-444B-8FEC-5A3227B03D56.jpeg
5F4FA8FB-74FF-4057-8AB3-06FF6960C8E6.jpeg
0356541C-D168-450A-9E85-CF93736A7FF2.jpeg

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never think they look that great. Lol. Soon... gotta get it looking good for Christmas.
Ha I bet it looks great. We are always our own worst critics when it comes to our tanks. Mostly I like to see the size of corals compared to the individual/macro shots we see. Like those nice sps pics you posted, hard to get a sense of colony size.

Either way I look forward to more pics and a FTS when you're ready! :)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Billy Idol: More more more.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back