Mangrove In My Nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the 4.8 Deskmate about 6 months ago. I really wanted a mangrove but didn’t want to place it in the main display. I got a small planting pot, cut holes in the bottom, lined it with a filter sock, filled it with sand and placed small pieces of sponge on the bottom to elevate it right over the overflow section that leads to the back portion of the tank. Essentially I was curious to see if the sand at the base of the pot that was essentially skimming the water as it flowed through the filtration portion of the tank would absorb enough water to keep the full pot of sand moist. Once I saw that all of the sand was moist even though it was above the water level, I then wondered if it would support a mangrove. So I got a seedling off of eBay and it has since sprouted and grown 4 leaves!

Yes, the mangrove will eventually outgrow the small pot.
Yes, I could have just placed the mangrove in the display body of water.

But, this concept is pretty cool and could be applied to other systems in other ways (including folks that need lids on their tanks).
I think once I get out of school and move into an actual house with more room, I’ll do something similar but have an actual beach feature with sand that helps filter the water and supports mangrove growth.

(Basic cheap lights I got off amazon seem to do the trick)

IMG_0149.jpeg IMG_0150.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back