Help with quiet pumps and skimmers

avocadoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the early stages of planning a reef tank. This will be my first saltwater aquarium. I had several freshwater tanks when I was a bit younger.

Planning for the tank to be a 40 gallon from PetSmart that's 36.5 x 15.5 x 17.2. I'm really only choosing this tank because I really like the dimensions, and I don't want something so big as to take over the entryway location. I plan to use a 20 long as a sump, and will be drilling holes into the bottom for drain/return.

The goal for the tank is for it to be very neat and unobtrusive. I want to minimize the amount of gear and tubing visible, and I also want it to be very quiet. I'm willing to pay a premium for quiet and reliable equipment, but certainly don't want to waste money.

So that being said, I'm overwhelmed by the options out there with skimmers and return pumps. Can anyone give me a few recommendations for each to get me started? I will admit a bias for gear that is "tried and true."

ETA: I hear that DC motors are quieter? Do I specifically want a skimmer with a DC motor?

Last edited:

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octopus skimmers and Varios DC pumps are like totally silent. You can't go wrong.
I have a Varios 2 on my skimmer, a Varios 6 for my main pump and a Varios 4 as a backup.
I've had no trouble from any of them so far.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend reefbreeders nautilus return pumps, excellent quality and controllability for the price and silent from what I can hear. I used to one in my latest build if you'd like to check it out.

Be careful drilling the bottom of the tank, many tanks are tempered glass on the bottom panel which cannot be drilled without the risk of shattering. You can just as easily drill one of the sides.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i have a reef octo classic 110-sss for my 20G long sump and 40B much like you plan on having. it is a work horse of a skimmer. for return pump i use the sicce syncra silent 3.0 return pump. this is the only thing i hear on my tank once i have my gate/ball valves set for a silent drain/return. and my jebao gyre's humming.

i plan on upgrading to a jebao return pump, OR reef octo return pump.

OP
OP
A

avocadoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendations. Should I specifically look for a skimmer that has a DC pump? If they're quieter I'm happy to pay more.

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm in the early stages of planning a reef tank. This will be my first saltwater aquarium. I had several freshwater tanks when I was a bit younger.

ETA: I hear that DC motors are quieter? Do I specifically want a skimmer with a DC motor?
Short answer yes.
Do a little research on which dc pumps you have in mind.
Some are better than others.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back