Help with seahorse

jstuver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male erectus that has a very large abdomin making it hard for him to stay upright. I had my tank they were in pop a seam so i had to transfer them quickly. He is eating still and i thought he might be pregnant as my other male that is the same age had babies last month.
So the aquarium is a cadlights tank so it is open top and has a sump area built in the back of it. It has a skimmer in those chambers as well.
As I said in my first post I just moved everything I could into the 32g tank when my 120g tank seal busted and emptied 120g of water onto my living room floor. I was able to get the seahorses out first and put into my sump where the only water was left. This was last Wednesday so a week ago today.

I have 4 erectus seahorses everyone is doing really well and so was this guy until yesterday, however his belly has been getting bigger and when this happened with my other male he had babies:) So I had been watching him and got concerned when I saw that when he swims he can't get his head above his tail.

Calcium- 460
alk-9
mag- 1100
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate- barely visible so less than 5

I tried a pouch evacuation, the only thing that looked like it came out was what looked like a liquid of some sort
confused.gif

No bubbles at all and I did it first with just moving up the pouch and then tried gently opening the pouch. It almost feels like there is a ball in his pouch? Could it be babies, egg sacks? I'm not sure how they work when it comes to developing.

Any help asap would be great.

I posted all the above on seahorse.org but they aren't a very active forum so I thought I would post here.

IMG_9443.jpg

IMG_9442.jpg

IMG_9440.jpg

IMG_9435.jpg

IMG_9431-1.jpg

dreadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It must be air trapped in there. I've had the same problem with my reidi. Just hold him upside down and gently squeeze the pouch. Also you can use a small eye dropper and hold it near the opening of the pouch and blow water in there.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hard time getting air out the first couple of times (petrified of hurting them). My wife was really good at it. That looks to be the problem. Ours would start pulling themselves into her finger to help the prcoess (keep the air from moving back down into the pouch). Ours became frequent. Don't hestitate to lose the eggs in order to remove the air. They'll breed again, and the babies won't likelt be as viable if they share a pouch with air. A diamox pouch flush can help with a bacterial infection that may be causing the air (as I assume ours was with its frequency).

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back