Help with torch coral?

racingskylines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have a question about my torch coral. Bought him last week, it’s my first torch so I’m not too experience with them, he was retracted for a few days but has since started to extended. In the store he was pinkish white mainly, with blue tips and toxic green roots. However now, he’s mainly almost translucent, blue tips are not Visible and the green is still there. He’s in the top third of my tank. Is this just an acclimation thing? No ammonia or nitrite
Temp:81
Nitrate:15
ph:8
Calcium:400
Salinity 1.026
Mag:n/a
Phosphate:n/a

areohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't recall any torch being pink but if its now translucent it maybe bleaching meaning its getting too much light. When acclimating new coral, its best to put them on the bottom of your tank for a couple of days so they can acclimate to your system before moving it higher up in the tank. I would move the torch to the bottom of your tank and see how it does from there.

Why is your temp high? and how come you dont have any phosphate reading?

OP
OP
R

racingskylines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what did you use to dip it? I have found coral rx will lighten my torches when they get a bath.
I float a container of fresh r/o water to get up to temp and just do a dip in that usually. I don’t dip with chemicals yet as there’s not very much in my tank to begin with

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp is high. Alk and phosphate readings are important, and use good quality test kits. Lighting and flow are important to torch coral. How new/old is your tank? Torch is a bit finicky. Pics really help.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I float a container of fresh r/o water to get up to temp and just do a dip in that usually. I don’t dip with chemicals yet as there’s not very much in my tank to begin with
You should always use a dip of some sort as well as manual inspect for pests. that’s how you introduce the bad stuff into your tank. Do you have a pic so we can see what’s goin on with your torch.

OP
OP
R

racingskylines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp is high. Alk and phosphate readings are important, and use good quality test kits. Lighting and flow are important to torch coral. How new/old is your tank? Torch is a bit finicky. Pics really help.
I moved him lower I’ll get a pick when he re-extends. Alk is 10. My phosphates come up lowest on the api test kit but I don’t have a low range yet. Tanks like 3 months old. And I dose ab+ every third day. Water change every Saturday. Other corals in the tank are doing stellar and my fish are fine.

OP
OP
R

racingskylines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep the lights low aswell at about 10% on white and 45% on blue on an 18 watt light. 15 gallon tank 11” deep 8” off surface of tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back