Help with yellow tail damsel

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well so far everything seems alright. The yellowtail isn't bothering him at all. The clown really seems to like swimming right n towards my powerhead. Or at least he was when I got up. I rearranged some rocks to try and keep the yellowtail confused so there wasn't any territorial issues, but I don't think there was any need anyway since everything seems fine. The yellowtail actually seems a little timid and spending all her time in the rocks. Ever sinc eI had my hands in the tank, the clown is swimming up and down along the glass on the left hand side trying to escape I guess. Must have spooked him. But yeah, yellowtail and clown are ignoring each other completely. But they are both still babies/juvelines.

OP
OP
T

tffnycm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome to hear the clown is hanging in there. I will attempt to get 2-clowns next week and see how it goes, was thinking of an anemone also. I'll keep ya posted on the damsels.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALWAYS quarantine new additions. There are very few effective reef-safe cures, even for common ailments, and one missed case (think saltwater velvet here...) can wipe out your entire tank.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for me, I don't have a qt yet, but I am highly considering one now that I'm starting to get more fish. Yellowtail still getting along with my clown. Acclimating my 2nd clown right now (I bought my 2nd clown today). ttf... curious to hear about your experience as well. Be sure and post an update when you get your clowns.

OP
OP
T

tffnycm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ended up adding 1 clownfish to the tank with an anemone and it's been 2 weeks and everyone is getting along. I did feed everyone and change the rock all around. So I'm pretty excited, so far so good.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you meant "add the MOST aggressive ones last"?

wow, just saw this thread and I need to apologize on my extremely long winded response lol - yes, eienna is correct, the post should have read most aggressive ones last

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on my own Yellowtail Damsel. So far, I have the Damsel, 2 Clowns, Firefish, Cleaner Shrimp and some snails n crabs. Although the Yellowtail sometimes nips at the other fish, it is not overly aggressive. A bit bossy, sometimes pushy, but nothing too bad. Like, if there is another fish nearby, the Damsel may nip at it's tail to get some space, but doesn't go chasing anything around the tank. She just wants her space, nomatter where she is. One of these personalities where she doesn't wanna be touched lol. I admit, there are times I have pondered taking the Damsel back. Not because of extreme aggression, but I'm a peaceful guy and even the small "nips" sometimes bug me. I want 100% peaceful fish but thats probably not likely. Even my two clowns seem to argue now and again. I think all fish pick and nip now snd then don't they?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tffnycm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen any nipping yet but they are all juveniles so we will see what the future holds. I'll let you know what goes in next but I will probably wait awhile to make sure everyone continues to get along.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah keep updates posted. I'll let you know as well how things are going in my own setup. Let me know when you get new fish. Oh, and where are the pics??? :)

OP
OP
T

tffnycm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I couldn't wait, I put a dwarf Coral beauty angel in today. He is awesome. I don't know how to add a pic yet but I will post some in a few days. Thanks Gemini for your support, I feel like where in this together ha ha ha

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's like we're in the same boat! lol I bought a Coral Beauty too! but it died in 2 days... :crossedlips: was my 2nd fish... Hope your luck is better than mine was :sad: I think the fault was my own tho... I added some pH buffer to bring my pH up from 7.8 to 8.2 and that may have affected the health of my new fish . Lesson learned: Don't use pH buffers.... Don't raise the pH as significantly as .4 points... sigh Some things are just out there to make a buck and should not be put in your tank.

OP
OP
T

tffnycm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been adding anything to my tank as far as chemicals. What I have been doing is adding a fish then waiting 2 days and changing 10 gallons of water that I bought from lfs, so far that has been my trick. I'll let you know how everyone is doing in a few days.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just mean! Trade them in for someting else like a pair of Clowns "Nemo"
Hahahahahah! Seriously though, clowns get just as territorial and mean when paired up and laying eggs. I have never had those damsels in my tank. I can tell you do not get blackmouths no matter how cute they are as babies. They are holy terrors as adults.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellowtails aren't as much of a terror as other damsels. They will each stake out a territory and defend it, focus mostly on each other, but there shouldn't be any casualties.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back