Hey all! New to R2R

ChronicRage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to R2R. Throwing a post up to make sure I'm doing everything correctly lol. I consider myself new to the hobby even though I have had reef and fish only tanks in the past because I haven't "been in the game" for about 10 years or so. The game has changed much since then so I'm learning all I can but at least the basics never change.
Anyway, Started a pico about a week ago. Fluval Spec V. Running floss, Chemi-Pure, and Purigen in a removable media basket. Upgraded the return pump to one with 156gph. Running stock lights atm but I have an 18-24" Current USA Orbit Marine Pro ordered and on its way (anyone with experience with this lighting system? Can I grow sps out of my tank with it?)
Tank has been up for almost 2 weeks. Have 10 lbs of liverock so it cycled quickly. I threw in a snail and isolated a $5 Xenia frag a couple days ago to get things moving.
I always have questions and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the hobby and this seems like a great place to start. (New to threads/blogs too)

If you took the time to read my mini-novel, thank you. lol

OP
OP
ChronicRage

ChronicRage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170209_130516.jpeg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your service and welcome to R2R

Slow it down a bit, reefing is all about patients. My suggestion would to add a coral about 30 from start and then a fish about 45 from start of cycle;)

I am looking forward to your build thread

OP
OP
ChronicRage

ChronicRage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Slow it down a bit, reefing is all about patients. My suggestion would to add a coral about 30 from start and then a fish about 45 from start of cycle;)

I tested my water though and everything checked out. I was surprised so I took it to my LFS to double check. Should I have waited before adding the Xenia and snail even if my levels all checked out? I don't plan on adding a fish for a long while though.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my water though and everything checked out. I was surprised so I took it to my LFS to double check. Should I have waited before adding the Xenia and snail even if my levels all checked out? I don't plan on adding a fish for a long while though.
I think you are good, and agree give it at least to 45 day before adding fish.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I added my first fish between 2-3 weeks after setup xD he is still swimming. Bulked up too. Has outlived 2 other fish... rip other fish.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, from what I've seen/read so far, this seems like a great place! :)
That's why I chose R2R. I'm new to the whole forum scene too. I've always been hesitant about joining any because some of them can get pretty nasty at times.

In all the threads I've looked through here, I have yet to see a nasty post. Just don't start talking like you're gonna add a tang to that small setup, and you'll be just fine!

OP
OP
ChronicRage

ChronicRage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've seen a lot of nasty threads/groups while exploring the magical world of Google.
Tang? lol
If i put in a fish, it'll be a goby and that's it. :)

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I chose R2R. I'm new to the whole forum scene too. I've always been hesitant about joining any because some of them can get pretty nasty at times.

In all the threads I've looked through here, I have yet to see a nasty post. Just don't start talking like you're gonna add a tang to that small setup, and you'll be just fine!
I have to share that my first post I had someone being fairly rude to me and bashing me. Then I had a whole team of big bothers and sisters that came to my defense and really put him in his place. That's when I knew this was my place.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to share that my first post I had someone being fairly rude to me and bashing me. Then I had a whole team of big bothers and sisters that came to my defense and really put him in his place. That's when I knew this was my place.
There's always one, isn't there? I hope he left with his tail between his legs!

I can't comprehend how someone could join any group of people based solely on a shared interest, and then be a complete butt to others who are there for the exact same purpose!

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's always one, isn't there? I hope he left with his tail between his legs!

I can't comprehend how someone could join any group of people based solely on a shared interest, and then be a complete *** to others who are there for the exact same purpose!
It was very short lived.

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I look forward to seeing your progress and mature. Like others have said, be patient, take it slow and feel free to ask questions.
Crab-Snail-Welcome.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back