OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have emailed them twice with no response. I am thinking about getting their calibration and two different test kits(salifert and AF) I did a test on the tank today and it was 12.9, I then tested it with an API test and it came up at 12

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have emailed Hanna and its been awhile with no reply still. I did get the Aquaforest test and I got a reading of 11.5 and Salifert and it came out at 12.5 I did a 15 gallon water change today but I did not have time to test it but I am testing it tomorrow.

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk I am measuring is in my tank and I did not test my mix yesterday but the blue bucket of red sea salt said it had an ICP test done on the salt and it was reading at 8 I think and the rock I have in my tank is live rock I don't know what kind of live rock it is but I know I have had it for 10 years this May.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk I am measuring is in my tank and I did not test my mix yesterday but the blue bucket of red sea salt said it had an ICP test done on the salt and it was reading at 8 I think and the rock I have in my tank is live rock I don't know what kind of live rock it is but I know I have had it for 10 years this May.

If you are talking about the brand in general, yes it has lower alkalinity. If you are talking about the specific bucket you have, that is worth testing.

Aside from artificial rock dissolving, top off water, salt mix and additives you are using (including nitrate), I don't think there are any substantial ways for alk to be rising.

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the bucket had a sticker on it saying it had a ICP test done on it for that bucket of salt. So what do you think could be causing it to be high, my nitrates have been at 0 for about 3 years now. I would like to do a ICP test on my tank water though to see what it comes back with.

dazoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
contact this guy at Hanna.
[email protected]
Not his area, but did a kick butt job at getting someone in contact with me the next day. Went out of his way to make sure I was a customer that had issues resolved.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the bucket had a sticker on it saying it had a ICP test done on it for that bucket of salt. So what do you think could be causing it to be high, my nitrates have been at 0 for about 3 years now. I would like to do a ICP test on my tank water though to see what it comes back with.

OK, I'm sure it wasn't that bucket, but it might have been that large "batch" of salt mix. But ICP doesn't detect alkalinity anyway and isn't likely going to be useful to see why alk is rising.

The manufacturer may have done an alk test on that batch of salt, but I would test it myself. Most manufacturers probably do as a quality control check, but I am not aware of what many of them actually do.

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I haven't received my reagent which I figured but I tested my RODI water and it had an dKH of 12.6 then when I added salt it was 20.0 once I added it to my tank it went down to 15. so is it possible that there is something for my RODI water. I don't know if the RODI water is suppose to not have a dKH.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I haven't received my reagent which I figured but I tested my RODI water and it had an dKH of 12.6 then when I added salt it was 20.0 once I added it to my tank it went down to 15. so is it possible that there is something for my RODI water. I don't know if the RODI water is suppose to not have a dKH.

It will have 0 dKH if the tds is anything close to 0 ppm.

Are you monitoring tds?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 104 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back