High no3

Koralik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone , I have problem with no3 it’s 40 . Changing water do not make any difference. I hear about using vodka, does anyone have any experience with using vodka to help ?

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us more about your setup so we can better help you diagnose the problem. Display Tank size, Sump Size, Age of setup, methods for filtration, etc.... How much % of your total volume are you changing? Are you using tap water/RODI water? What salt mix? So many variables to sort through....

OP
OP
Koralik

Koralik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size 55 liters . Age 6 weeks.Skimmer, filter fluval U2, waves makers . Live sand , live stones. Water RODI , salt Red Sea. 10% changes water every week.
Thank you

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 6 weeks, I don't believe you should address it aggressively if at all. Yes, 40 is a bit high and could lead to GHA at some point, but anything you are growing in there at this stage is a feature of the "uglies" phase that few escape entirely.

Before intervening, I'd also want to know your PO4 level (via Hanna Checker).

The simplest way is to reduce the importation of nutrient. Give us your fish list and what you feed per week (or day).

OP
OP
Koralik

Koralik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for reply
I don’t have test po4 .
2 clown fish and 1 Melanurus Wrasse.
Feeding 1 times brine shrimp .
4 snails, 1 peppermint shrimp, 2 crabs.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for reply
I don’t have test po4 .
2 clown fish and 1 Melanurus Wrasse.
Feeding 1 times brine shrimp .
4 snails, 1 peppermint shrimp, 2 crabs.

1) Good fish list. I love them all. Not sure how big they are now, but they will get bigger and eventually the bioload will be heavy for that size. Are they juvenile fish (< 1.5 to 2 inches)? Clean up crew are nearly neutral to bioload IMO.

2) Next, brine shrimp (unless seriously gut loaded) are snack food in my opinion. Not enough nutrient/protein. Can you get mysis shrimp?

3) Finally, how much of a cube are you feeding each day? Or cubic centimeters? Depending upon size of those 3 fish, somewhere around between 1/4 cube to 1/2 cube daily is more than enough.

4) About time for a 20% WC unless you are doing another method. That should bring your nitrate down to 32.

If carbon dosing makes sense a year from now, go for it. Until then, moderate feeding, WC, and skimming should be enough.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 isn't all that bad, depending. Depending on coral load, nutrient export...... Overall tank health. If corals looks good, polyp extension, good color......

If not, then you may need to go more aggressive. From what I've read, numbers approaching 100-150 N03 can lead to fish and coral health decline.

Here's a great read from Mike Paletta on the master's parameters:

My tank at 40 N03

DSC_0138.JPG

OP
OP
Koralik

Koralik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for all advice.
I did wc 20% and yes no3 changed to 30 .
I think I already have gha but I’m not sure and what to do with this ?
I also have marine pellets food is that good for them ? The fish at the moment are very small.
Since I bought melanurus wrasse she buried herself in the sand and has been sitting for 4 days.
I give pinch of brine shrimp and also is something else with it I think is mysis shrimp .

7217334B-F959-4F94-B1C2-6CA46E4685DD.jpeg CFFE73D6-CAF7-4F51-8E66-41532726F70B.jpeg

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is fairly new at 6 weeks so I wouldn’t worry too much at this point. Even though you used live sand and live rock there still could be cycles as everything balances and all surfaces establish bacteria cultures. You will probably get some gha and cyano, but let it run its course. You are on the right track just don’t make any major sudden changes, do things in small increments and track your maintenance so you know what’s working. Go slow you grow, go fast you might crash.

Last edited:

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient. It will come together and stabilize. Just slowly add livestock to allow for beneficial bacteria to catch up:)

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back