High PH. Is it safe?

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this sodium hydroxide 283g per gallon of water. X5 for 5 gallon bucket. Since refill ph shot crazy high. Dosing amount haven't changed, my only concern at this point is, is this ph levels, safe?
1000000643.jpg
1000000642.jpg

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine get up to about the the same around the end of the light cycle I’m currently at 8.6 and the lights go off in an hour and a half. Following, curious as well. They dip pretty low to 7.8 right before lights come back on in the morning

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, precipitation of calcium carbonate usually becomes a problem before toxicity seems to kick in, but I am not sure exactly where organisms begin to suffer, and which ones show it first as pH gets higher and higher.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine get up to about the the same around the end of the light cycle I’m currently at 8.6 and the lights go off in an hour and a half. Following, curious as well. They dip pretty low to 7.8 right before lights come back on in the morning

Sounds like aeration is on the low side.

OP
OP
zheka757

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess im only one here freaking out about this high ph. Now i feel beter.
My second quastion is, what the heck have happend between sodium hydroixide mixes. i mean i do mix it in bulk, (5 gallons at time) it last me about 2 month. ran bocket dry for 2 days prior to new mix, and this was ph result. does this solution lose its strenth after time?
in my first picture you can see pattern i has with old solution mix up to march 25, march 25-26 i had dry bocket, and last night i put new solution. and thats when ph spiked

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess im only one here freaking out about this high ph. Now i feel beter.
My second quastion is, what the heck have happend between sodium hydroixide mixes. i mean i do mix it in bulk, (5 gallons at time) it last me about 2 month. ran bocket dry for 2 days prior to new mix, and this was ph result. does this solution lose its strenth after time?
in my first picture you can see pattern i has with old solution mix up to march 25, march 25-26 i had dry bocket, and last night i put new solution. and thats when ph spiked

If it is left open to the air, CO2 enters driving it toward sodium carbonate. That doesn’t change the alk potency, but reduces the pH boost.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back