Hitchhiking Octopus

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing to know is that they should be kept in a species only aquarium. Trying to keep them with fishes will lead to dead ceph, or dead fish, eventually. Very cool hitch hiker!
Rininger I hadn't thought of the inking, that would be a problem.
Ceph ink is much less of a concern than I initially imagined. Actually almost moot it you're running an efficient skimmer. Carbon will also remove it, but I never ran extra carbon while keeping cuttlefish and inking was not an uncommon thing.
taking care of these guys makes keeping acro's look simple.
Nah, if you can successfully make Acropora sp. grow then you'll have no issues keeping Ceph's, assuming you're willing to give it a proper environment.
Here is a ceph. forum, they may be able to help you https://www.tonmo.com/community/
:thumb: This is where you want to head. These are the ceph overlords of our hobby, and there's loads of awesome information over there.

CoralGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool find!

It looks like a common octopus- Octopus vulgaris.

Very neat!!

OP
OP
Nikky.Werr

Nikky.Werr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the forum, I'm gonna go check it out now. I'm analyzing what I can move to the 50 gallon and what needs to stay in the 100 gallon. I can probably make it so that he has the 100 gallon mostly to himself. Since bigger is better specially since I don't know yet how much he'll grow. I'll read up some more on the vulgaris, it does seem to look like the one I have. I never thought I'd be looking at an octopus as a hitchhiker though with all the wildlife in Ocoa Bay and the miles long drop no one's ever explored there I shouldn't be surprised. God knows what else is in there just minding it's own business. Ahh, the ocean is awe inspiring and incredibly beautiful. Thanks everyone for your input, I'll keep you posted!

tonmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the forum, I'm gonna go check it out now. I'm analyzing what I can move to the 50 gallon and what needs to stay in the 100 gallon. I can probably make it so that he has the 100 gallon mostly to himself. Since bigger is better specially since I don't know yet how much he'll grow. I'll read up some more on the vulgaris, it does seem to look like the one I have. I never thought I'd be looking at an octopus as a hitchhiker though with all the wildlife in Ocoa Bay and the miles long drop no one's ever explored there I shouldn't be surprised. God knows what else is in there just minding it's own business. Ahh, the ocean is awe inspiring and incredibly beautiful. Thanks everyone for your input, I'll keep you posted!
Hi Nikky - I run TONMO... and I think I accidentally deleted your registration... Please retry if you are inclined, and thanks for visiting!

OP
OP
Nikky.Werr

Nikky.Werr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Nikky - I run TONMO... and I think I accidentally deleted your registration... Please retry if you are inclined, and thanks for visiting!

Hello, I re-registered, I've found TONMO very informative and helpful though. There's so much on personal first hand experience that I think is more important sometimes than solely book theory. Thanks for notifying me! I wouldn't have realized otherwise.

tonmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks. And agreed... forums (like this one, r2r!) are invaluable to hobbyists. Nearly 15 years of cephalopod content at TONMO means there's plenty to catch up on... Also, the search feature is your friend.

Good luck with your hitchhiker!

OP
OP
Nikky.Werr

Nikky.Werr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did actually. I named him Megamind. I'm not sure if it's a him or a her but for now it'll be "him". He's eating really well, I'm feeding him crabs, hermit crabs, shrimp and snails I've seen him eating all from Ocoa Bay, where he's from. These are some of the pictures I've managed to take of him.

Attachments

• DSC_8040.jpg
    DSC_8040.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,060
  • DSC_8060.jpg
    DSC_8060.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,062
  • DSC_8064.jpg
    DSC_8064.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,035
  • DSC_8065.jpg
    DSC_8065.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,029

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too cool!! This is the best hitch hiker I've ever seen! Jealous

drchang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got him keep him and see how big he gets. It is not like he is out of his area. If he gets to big just set him free. Enjoy your find and have fun feeding him. I am from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.But live in Florida. Good Luck!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 57 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back