Ben's SPS Dominated 120

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by declanisadog, Aug 21, 2018.

1. declanisadog

declanisadog Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Hello!

I've been mostly out of the hobby for a couple of years, and told myself when I decided to set up a new tank I would create a build thread to document progress and what not. I've had a few tanks (at my house) in the past my last being a 30gallon cube. I was also taking care of my boss's 150gal and a 65gallon at work, and coupling that with a small child and moving plans, I got kind of burnt out. Fortunately I was able to sell all of my corals to my boss, so they basically remained mine. Unfortunately while i was out of town, someone topped off the office tank with a few gallons of saltwater from a previous water change. All SPS dead... Both tanks went on cruise control for a couple of years.

Current FTS:
    10/24/18
    F07391AB-A26A-4F60-95F2-B84608715E36.jpeg

Current Fish list:
    2xBlack Ice Clowns
    Powder Blue Tang
    Kole Tang
    Mystery Wrasse
    2xCarberryi Anthias
    Flame Hawk
    Target Mandarin
    Orange Back Wrasse

Equipment rundown:
    Lights-LED/T5 Hybrid w/3X Hydra 26HD
    Sump-40 breeder with room for a huge refugium that I may turn into a frag area down the road
    Skimmer-Eshopps Axium X-160
    Return- DCP1200
    Powerheads- 2x Gyre XF250
    Controller-Apex Classic
    ATO-Tunze

Old Tanks:

24gallon aquapod circa 2013
    IMG_1520.JPG

30gallon cube circa 2014. this was a while before i broke it down, but I can't find any later pics. Unfortunate because my acros really started taking off shortly after...
    IMG_2554.JPG

Fast forward a couple of years...
    My boss is trying to sell his house, so we go ahead and breakdown his tank. This had the unintended consequence of rekindling my passion for the hobby. The original plan was to set up something in the 180-300gallon range. I don't intend to be in our current house forever though, so I settled for something a little more manageable/movable. I started slowly collecting parts that I knew I would be able to use down the road, and planned on making it happen 6 months to a year down the road. That didn't happen. I happened to see a guy selling a complete 120gallon setup local for a price I couldn't refuse. That brings us up to last month. I had a bunch of rock curing already, so things moved fast.

Less words, more pictures...

June 1
    In the Garage, and Cleanish
    IMG_2235.jpg

June 12
    We have a sump! IMG_2269.jpg

June 14
    Plumbing done
    IMG_2272.jpg

June 15
    Aquascaping
    IMG_2275.jpg

July 9
    Water!!
    IMG_2373.jpg

As I stated before, I had a bunch of cured live rock, and on top of that, I used a couple different bottles of bacteria. Fully cycled in nine days.

July 24
    First fish! (excellent pic)
    IMG_2418.jpg

Aug 9
    Still not sure exactly what this was, but it completely covered the tank in a matter of days.
    IMG_2481.jpg

August 17
    Almost gone...
    IMG_2508.jpg

August 19
    Completely Clean! Whatever it was, My powder blue tang loved it!
    IMG_2513.jpg

I also added a couple different euphyllias and zoas when I added the first fish to test the waters. I purposely chose ones that weren't doing so well in the tank at work to see how they fared. All are flourishing.

A week or so after that, I added an almost dead bonsai frag, and faded frag of CB maleficent(duplicate freebie) to see if they would live. I had PE on both within a couple days, and they are both really starting to look like they are supposed to. More to come...

IMG_2554.JPG

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 2:28 PM
    Tags:

2. declanisadog

not sure where that last pic came from, but whatever...

NY_Caveman, SPR1968 and ndrwater like this.
  3. ndrwater

ndrwater Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

Great job!! Kinda funny how things turn out.. I had my 240 and then "a deal that I couldn't pass on" added a 60 to the collection, and another that turned the 60 into a 120...
    Glad you are back in the game!!
    Keep the posts and pics coming!!

NY_Caveman, SPR1968 and declanisadog like this.
  4. declanisadog

All of these are in the office tank for now...

The only remaining acto from my old tank
    0BA63811-29EA-4D94-ABA6-2C2ADBBDE0A3.jpeg
    ASD rainbow
    BA00BDB5-6CE1-4719-AA26-F3232A2C9545.jpeg

AA chameleon
    70305DCF-84B3-4CDE-884C-4320E98560CE.jpeg

These are waiting to be moved to their new home...
    DD18E04E-7758-4A1F-884C-2C5AEE05F2D9.jpeg
    Top to bottom
    ORA pearl berry
    TSA bill Murray
    RRC pink caddy
    Oregon tort
    Cc voodoo majick
    WD
    Tyree pinky the bear

I just got a couple of those from budmancorals.com

He’s got a pretty insane sale going on through tonight if anyone is interested. That pink caddy was a freebie

5. SPR1968

SPR1968 Fish & Coral Addict! R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa UK Reef Club Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Thanks for the pictures and write up Ben, very nice and I really like the aquascape

declanisadog and NY_Caveman like this.
  6. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman Troglodyte R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Very nice! I love that aquascape!

declanisadog likes this.
  7. declanisadog

Thanks guys! I am really happy with the way the aquascape turned out. I wanted as much depth as possible, and I think I achieved that. I was planning on drilling all of the rocks and putting fiberglass rods in, but it worked out to where I only needed a couple. I had about 250lbs of rock to work with so I was able to pick and choose ones that fit my plans. I have a couple of decent sized shelf pieces that I am considering adding, but I'll probably just leave it the way it is.

NY_Caveman likes this.
  8. declanisadog

Bad news in the office tank. I'd been having some really bad fading, and no PE on my acros for a few weeks. I chocked it up to my nutrients being too low, so I started dosing to bring them up a little. A week or so ago I found a screw and a bunch of rust in my ATO container... The strange part is minus the poor coloration, and the lack of PE they still seemed to be growing. I lost a small frag of pink lemonade last week and a lepto a week before, but i thought I was out of the woods. This morning I noticed some STN going on at the base of my chameleon, and my ASD rainbow looks terrible (as does the bonsai, but it's been through worse. I was planning on cutting a large piece of it for the new tank today anyway) I also have a little nub of fox flame that i dropped a rock on a while ago, but it is growing better than ever at the moment.

Question is do I pull everything, and pull it in my immature tank, or let it ride?

Lights are Reefbreeders photon v2 maxing at 60% blues 10% whites

Parameters

Work
    Alk-8.1
    Cal-400
    Mag-1400
    Nitrates-5
    PO4-.02

Home
    Alk-9.8 (bring it down slowly)
    Cal-440
    Mag-1450
    Nitrate-.5
    PO4-.04

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    NY_Caveman likes this.
  9. declanisadog

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  10. declanisadog

QT in my office at work. As frustrating is my job is sometimes, it's nice that they let me do pretty much whatever I want as far as fish stuff goes

IMG_2522.jpg

NY_Caveman likes this.
  11. declanisadog

The canopy that came with tank was pretty much useless. It wasn’t hinged like a normal one. There was sort of a trap door on top to access the tank, and it didn’t leave much room for lights. Not to mention it added an extra eleven inches on top of the tank your need to reach over to get in. I decided I would hack the first ten or so inches off, and and pull all of the wood off of the top. Then I could just mount the lights on top. I figured if I didn’t work, I could toss it , and make a mount to hang the lights. Fortunately for me it worked better than I could’ve planned.
    B1AD1701-EE8B-4A7E-8D0C-500A5638F6A6.jpeg 6CF101FB-13A1-467D-8716-599DA5419ED6.jpeg

NY_Caveman likes this.
  12. declanisadog

Couple updates. I’ve got coralline popping up all over. I added a couple more acros. Everything seems to be doing quite well.

Bubble gum digi, WD, Oregon Tort
    860DCADC-DBD8-47C1-BA3F-ADBADF16AC92.jpeg
    Oregon tort mounted and malificent
    Malificent is looking better every day
    86CEC588-DA9A-41E0-A6AE-8D9A085045D4.jpeg
    Better pic of clowns
    IMG_2554.JPG
    WD
    C0B0EEDF-401B-4CD3-B45E-9689307E445E.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    NY_Caveman likes this.
  13. Salt Creep

Salt Creep Active Member

Looking good! You have some nice coral on that list. How are you liking the gyres in the 120? Are dead spots pretty much eliminated? Thinking of adding one or two along with the WAV pumps on mine. The corners of my tank could use a bit more flow.

Looking forward to updates!

NY_Caveman likes this.
  14. declanisadog

Thanks man! I can't wait to add the rest of the ones I've been collecting. My flame hawk in the work tank won't stay off of the frag rack. I replaced two korelias(never again) with a single XF 230 in my 65gallon to test the waters, and was very pleased with the performance. The only real dead spot I have noticed with them is like an inch or so wide uniform ridge along the back glass, but I only have them at 50% at the moment. I turn my other one up to a constant 100% to stir everything up on occasion, and I plan to do the same with these once I start noticing detritus collecting.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    NY_Caveman and Salt Creep like this.
  15. declanisadog

Added a trio of carberryi anthias to QT this morning IMG_2566.jpg

NY_Caveman likes this.
  16. declanisadog

I’ve always wanted one of these guys
    697B2BD9-B8D6-4FE3-904C-19FC6A8EB627.jpeg

NY_Caveman likes this.
  17. declanisadog

Minor update. Finally mounted everything to the wall. I was building a cabinet to match the stand, and I recently discovered that my daughter is a little jerk and can’t be trusted with wires/buttons. The cabinet was too big for the other side, so I just put everything on the wall. Plan B was inside the stand, but i foresee a calcium reactor in my near future.
    AB4987B7-9199-40E0-AD58-296B0B0F2EBA.jpeg

Still needs some tidying, but much better than it was on the floor...

NY_Caveman likes this.
  18. declanisadog

I emptied the frag rack on my office tank last week, and got everything mounted over the weekend. Everything seems happy. Significant encrustation on most of the acros.

TSA Bill Murray behind the WD. WD is encrusting nicely, and starting to sprout some branches. BM was almost a casualty of whatever was going on in my office tank, but he seems happier now. Polyps are out more often than not, but color is AWFUL
    IMG_2625.jpg

Tyree Pinky the Bear
    He was very happy in my office tank, but seems to be even happier with the added flow of the home tank.
    IMG_2621.jpg

CC Voodoo Majick
    I added this one a couple of weeks ago, and it is starting to color up nicely. It's also started to encrust over the super glue.
    IMG_2596.jpg

My mystery wrasse is the most camera shy fish I've ever owned i think. He'll be nose to nose with me against the glass, and the second I pull my phone out, he disappears.
    IMG_2629.jpg

NY_Caveman likes this.
  19. declanisadog

Bonsai!!
    This one looked as bad (or worse) than the bill murray frag in a previous picture when I added it last month. It's about to be off the plug on the other side.
    IMG_2626.jpg

NY_Caveman likes this.
  20. declanisadog

Some coral warfare going on in the office tank. IMG_2642.jpg

NY_Caveman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted