OP
OP
declanisadog

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing major to report. I had a little die back on my Pink Caddy frag. It subsided, but I went ahead and cut it just to be on the safe side. It's recovering nicely, though only half it's original size...oh well. Everything else is starting to grow, and I'm starting to pull some great colors on most everything. The BM of a Bill Murray has changed from tannish to the nice light green it is supposed to be, and it is starting to develop some pinks. One of my anthias got into the over flow a couple days ago. I didn't have the necessary tools to get her out, so there she remains until I get off work tonight. I can get my arm all the way in the other one, but this side of the tank is too close to the wall for my fat body to squeeze by. I should probably do something to prevent this happening in the future...

Last edited:
OP
OP
declanisadog

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green BM
Crazy how much of a difference two weeks can make
Image-2.jpg

PB starting to sparkle
Image-1.jpg

OP
OP
declanisadog

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing turned completely green about a month ago. Not so much anymore...
IMG_2698.jpg

I never thought I’d care enough to buy a fancy camera, but I’ve been seriously considering it lately.

Last edited:
OP
OP
declanisadog

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend brought pests. Flatworms. the red kind. they were a plague in my boss's tank, and I brought some with the corals I put in the office tank. The six line in there completely eradicated them...or so I thought. Hopefully my mystery wrasse develops a taste for them. They're only in one spot at the moment, but if I see them spread, I have flatworm exit on hand.

Aptasia. I haven't seen one in any of my tanks in several years. I found three in my office tank, and I've seen one so far at home. Only explanation I can think of is snails. I recently put a bunch from the same place in both tanks, and that's the only constant between the two. Oh well.

On a brighter note, every one seems to be happy. Corals are growing, fish are pooping. I added a large frag of JKR rainbow, and pink lemonade this weekend. I'll work on getting pics this evening.

OP
OP
declanisadog

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of zoas

Blue Hornets
IMG_2786.jpg

Utter chaos. I had like a thousand polyps of these in my old tank at one point. They use to detach, and blow around only to start a new patch somewhere else. I broke the colony in half, and the half I kept dwindled away over the years. Now I'm down to like thirty
IMG_2789.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got tired of retrieving broken rubber bands, and couldn't justify spending money on an algae clip so I fashioned something to attach to my algae scraper. I think it turned out pretty slick.
IMG_2831.jpg

That is very cool!

OP
OP
declanisadog

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a couple new fish!

Flame hawk came out of QT last night, and was in the overflow within minutes... I went to get him out this morning, and he had already found his way back into the tank. There is a little gap where the return line runs that i guess he is finding his way through. I added a target mandarin this morning to perhaps help with the flatworms. He went through an extra long freshwater dip. It's crazy to me how some fish seem unfazed, and others go ballistic (I'm talking to you tangs) the second they hit the water.

OP
OP
declanisadog

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a couple of fish this morning, and unfortunately the hooded fairy was DOA. I also got an orange back fairy. He is in QT, and seems to be loving life. Really cool fish. I am considering reordering the dead one, but may wait until my QT is empty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
declanisadog

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick feeding video of the new wrasse. Once he’s out of QT, I think I’m going to replace the hooded fairy, and get a labouti. I have a couple suppliers on the hunt for a trio of red tail tamarins, but I’m not holding my breath.

OP
OP
declanisadog

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some not so happy news, Declan is no longer a dog. After battling some undiagnosable cancer (probably) for the past several months, I came home to him not being able to stand. I took him to the vet, and a tumor on his spleen had burst. He was the best boy, and he will be sorely missed in my house. Here is the last picture I took of him.
IMG_2829.jpg

OP
OP
declanisadog

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved a couple of frags from the work tank last week. The ASD rainbow grew a good bit, but never had any PE and the colors were way off. Within a couple of days in my tank, it had max PE, and is starting to pick up the colors you’d expect. The fox flame encrusted a good bit, but never really did much. It lost the yellow tips, but is otheise looking ok. We’ll see how it fares in its new home.
DA49B122-6943-4DE2-B1EB-7B771B1CAE2C.jpeg
2E47ED00-F1F3-4745-B967-58B53E8A6469.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some not so happy news, Declan is no longer a dog. After battling some undiagnosable cancer (probably) for the past several months, I came home to him not being able to stand. I took him to the vet, and a tumor on his spleen had burst. He was the best boy, and he will be sorely missed in my house. Here is the last picture I took of him.
IMG_2829.jpg

A little late, but very sad for your loss. Sounds like it was not unexpected, but still tough.

OP
OP
declanisadog

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been dealing with some turf algae in a few spots, and it really started taking hold a couple weeks back. My nutrients are already lower than I'd like(N-0.25 P<.02) so lowering them any more seems risky. I've been dosing vibrant for the last couple of weeks more so because it helps keep my glass clean than anything else. I used it in the past for the same type of algae in my other tank, and wasn't very happy with the results. After upping my dosage in my personal tank last week, I started noticing some cyano (expected, and not a big deal). no change in appearance to the green stuff. Last night i decided to stick my hands in the tank to see what I could pull out. It came off the rocks much easier than I was expecting, and the color seems to have faded in the spots that I touched. I guess it's working? only time will tell... I am going to hit it full force this weekend, and do a water change. This will be only the third I've done since the tank has been running.

On a positive note, all of my acros are encrusting nicely, and a couple look like they are about to start taking off.

OP
OP
declanisadog

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2988.jpg

Acros are all growing nicely (except the Oregon Tort in the pic above), unfortunately the turf algae is also... I added a bunch of emerald crabs, and they seem to be eating it. Too little too late though.I am thinking about giving fluconazole a shot.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back