HOB skimmer overflowing

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own an Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 and until yesterday have had nothing but good experience with it.

Yesterday I was doing my normal tank maintenance and part of it is cleaning my skimmer cup. All I used to clean it was a paper towel and some tap water.

Now it immediately starts to bubble over the top and overflow the cup with clear water. The only adjustments it has is cup height and I have it set to the highest setting.

In the past after cleaning I have ran into the opposite issue where it wouldn’t produce any skimmate for a few hours after cleaning until it built some film up in the neck.

Nothing is different from anything in the past.

I have tried just letting it overflow for a few hours (it overflows back into the body of the skimmer). I have tried turning it off and just waiting a few hours. Nothing works.

I assume I can get an airflow valve and restrict the airflow but I just can’t figure out what would have happened that made it start acting like this after routine maintenance I have done a dozen times.

Any thoughts would be helpful

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never but it’s only 2 months old
Check that carefully. Sometimes, when cleaning, a small piece of substrate or other, blocks the tube and that would result in the overflow.

I can actually still blow air though mine when blocked.
I use a tiny drill bit to remove any calcification.

OP
OP
B

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW OP...how you like that thing? I owned one for about 10 minutes....then ugraded.

Until yesterday I’ve loved it…no microbubbles issue, removes a ton of skimmate and keeps my nutrients right where I want…but I cannot figure this out

OP
OP
B

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check that carefully. Sometimes, when cleaning, a small piece of substrate or other, blocks the tube and that would result in the overflow.

I can actually still blow air though mine when blocked.
I use a tiny drill bit to remove any calcification.
I just check d it and there’s was a bit of salt residue so I cleaned it but same result

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until yesterday I’ve loved it…no microbubbles issue, removes a ton of skimmate and keeps my nutrients right where I want…but I cannot figure this out
Cleaning the air inlet (and tube) and making sure nothing is plugging the outlet are pretty much the only things you can do....I would just let it run now....

OP
OP
B

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read somewhere that new filter socks can make your skimmer go crazy sometimes…I added a new filter floss over the sponge in my other hob filter at the exact time this happened so I’m guessing maybe that’s what caused the issue and I just need to give it some time

Any idea why filter floss would cause a skimmer to overflow like crazy?

Millsaps2378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP did you ever resolve this issue? I’ve had the same exact skimmer for about a year with no issues but now having the same issue you were… I unplugged for normal maintenance then primed it when I started back up but when I plugged the hose into the silencer it is just continuously filling the cup with clear water in a couple of mins and pumping out tons of micro bubbles… I’ve tried priming for longer and just letting it overflow for about an hour but I’m afraid the micro bubbles are going to stress things out… any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back