Home Plumbing Help Needed

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an acid neutralizer for my house. I'm perfectly comfortable with plumbing it into the supply lines, but I'm concerned about the drain line. I'm putting this in my basement and it is right below the 3" main sewer line out to my septic tank. I am directly below a horizontal run but I'm only a few feet away from the vertical section before it goes outside.

My question is how do I properly tie into the 3" PVC sewage line? I know I need to prevent backflow, but I'm unclear on the proper approach. I am not near a vent and I'd rather not have to run something outside if it can be avoided. Is a simple backflow prevention valve enough? The line is pressurized with the house water pressure when in use.

Thanks in advance!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a plumber.

Just wanted to get that out of the way first. Lol. A trap should be fine to stop gasses from back flowing.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a plumber.

Just wanted to get that out of the way first. Lol. A trap should be fine to stop gasses from back flowing.

A trap would stop the gasses, but it requires a vent for an air source. They make devices that allow air in, but they're really unreliable.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out you CAN do this with just a trap. Something about it being on the vertical section of my sewage line allows you to do that. Add a long pipe on top of the trap and you have your air gap. Cost me $200, but at least I know it's right :)

IMG_1623.jpg

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out you CAN do this with just a trap. Something about it being on the vertical section of my sewage line allows you to do that. Add a long pipe on top of the trap and you have your air gap. Cost me $200, but at least I know it's right :)

IMG_1623.jpg
Who would have thought??? Haha glad you got it figured out.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.2%
Back