OP
THE BEAUT

THE BEAUT

Luv Golf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 6 bulbs. 2ATI Blue+ , 1 UVL Super Actinic, 2 ATI Aquablue special and GE daylight.
Parameters are
Ca 460
Alk 11
Phos 0
Nitrate 0
PH 8.3
The only thing it could be is the heat, Running at 83 for a few hours in the peak of the day.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the GE bulbs, really put out too much light, but that is just my opinion. If I were you i'd get rid of it. Heat is not your problem. My reef temp is between 80.5 and 82.5 throughout the day. If it is a really hot day it will hit 83 for a few hours. Hope this helps.

take care.

OP
OP
THE BEAUT

THE BEAUT

Luv Golf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool the GE is a goner. As you can see in the pics they all look healthy, nice and plump. So would have to think it is the light.

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Australian Corals are coming out of temperate waters where the temperature is in the mid 70's as per the what the wholesaler told me. So check your water temperature. Also he stated they are collected in deeper water so a blue spectrum will help keep their colors stable. For all you that keep SPS and know that Indo collected Acros do better in aquaria because in indonesia the water temperatures are higher than in Fiji or Tonga. This is the same for Aussie Acans they prefer a little bit cooler water temperatures. Hope this helps out a little.

RandyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Australian Corals are coming out of temperate waters where the temperature is in the mid 70's as per the what the wholesaler told me. So check your water temperature. Also he stated they are collected in deeper water so a blue spectrum will help keep their colors stable. For all you that keep SPS and know that Indo collected Acros do better in aquaria because in indonesia the water temperatures are higher than in Fiji or Tonga. This is the same for Aussie Acans they prefer a little bit cooler water temperatures. Hope this helps out a little.

I've been keeping some of my Aussie Acans in water temps at 84 degrees this summer. The pink piece I posted was under those water temps for almost a month.

Just like sps, these guys are going to change color according to their new enviroments. I have a bright orange piece that I've been keeping under lower lighting since May. It's still orange, but has turned a little more red. I sold a frag to a friend in May and he put it way up at the top of his reef with all his sps. I saw it last week and it was bright red. Lost it's orange color. IMO it changed because of lighting. His Temps are a steady 81F, which is lower than my system.

It's been my observation that the pink Aussies like more light to bring out the pink while all those orange center Ultra Aussies like lower light.

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping some of my Aussie Acans in water temps at 84 degrees this summer. The pink piece I posted was under those water temps for almost a month.

Just like sps, these guys are going to change color according to their new enviroments. I have a bright orange piece that I've been keeping under lower lighting since May. It's still orange, but has turned a little more red. I sold a frag to a friend in May and he put it way up at the top of his reef with all his sps. I saw it last week and it was bright red. Lost it's orange color. IMO it changed because of lighting. His Temps are a steady 81F, which is lower than my system.

It's been my observation that the pink Aussies like more light to bring out the pink while all those orange center Ultra Aussies like lower light.

I am just going by what they are telling me and the locations they are being collected at. Sure Acans are extremely hardy and can adapt to different conditions.

IBMGeek

I Brake for Zoos!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEAUT how bright is your super actinic, i currently have a true actinic(not super) and its a bit dull? If its brighter then i will change to the super actinic.

Thanks

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i would agree Pink is hard to come by since a lot morphs into darker pink or red.
Here is my Pink Aussie Acan. The color is bright my favorite piece in my tank now.
4mm8a2u.jpg

IBMGeek

I Brake for Zoos!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohh then im definately going to buy the super actinic, the one i have now i think is Giesemann and its not too bright.

Thanks

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has morphed nicely for me. Here is a pic when I first got it.

CHR_1399.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also experience some loss of colors on the Rainbow ones.. I'll have a before and after shot in about a week just to see how much color loss I get.. :(

kinda disappointed as I love the Rainbows but if they won't keep that color in captivity, what's the point right.. I do see lots of hope for the pink ring ones as per RandyO's post.. :)

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back