How can I safely raise phosphates?

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have a question. What’s a good and safe way to raise phosphates? I always read that you wanted your nitrates and phosphates to be o. But since getting back into the hobby I’ve seen/read you’ll want a little of both in your tank. I started my tank in July so still new but just curious. My filtration is simple just filter pads, chemipure elite, and seachem matrix. Should I take the chemipure out while trying to the raise phosphates? I have 3 corals in my tank 2 are doing ok but one frogspawn isn’t it’s just closed up and receding. My parameters look ok except for the phosphates.
  • Alk 8-9 dKH
  • PH 7.8-8
  • Nitrate 0
  • Nitrite 0
  • Ammonia 0
  • Salinity 1.025
  • Temp 77-78
  • Cal 420
  • Mag 1,600-1,700
  • Phos 0.00 (Hanna)

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with the auto feeders, feed the tank more with an auto feeder, nutrients gets pretty predictable with it. Easy to overdose with dosing additives.

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd feed the corals some reef roids. Start with half maybe a quarter of whatever is on the label. Monitor a day or two later win/win
I’m with the auto feeders, feed the tank more with an auto feeder, nutrients gets pretty predictable with it. Easy to overdose with dosing additives.
Should I remove my chemipure elite from the tank since it removes phosphates. I have the 15 gallon IM tank. The chemipure elite bag rated for up to 25. I feed my fish once a day plus extra for my hermit and corals once a week but can increase if need be

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I remove my chemipure elite from the tank since it removes phosphates. I have the 15 gallon IM tank. The chemipure elite bag rated for up to 25. I feed my fish once a day plus extra for my hermit and corals once a week but can increase if need be
Personally I would, dirty up the water a bit and keep it a tad dirty.

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and having 0 is not a good thing, got to find the balance.
Been busy so haven’t had a chance to update but checked my phosphate got it up to 0.04 (Hanna test) but my nitrates are still 0. Been feeding a little more heavily. But just curious what’s the idle spot for the nitrate and phosphate levels?

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised mine by adding more fish which caused me to feed more food, I would also caution you on trying to change things quickly especially with a new tank. Your levels will fluctuate with time as your system becomes more established.
Yea I’ve been thinking about adding a new fish just scared since it’s only a 15gallon. So far my stock is 2 clowns, 1 fire shrimp (just added), 1 hermit, 3 cerith snails, and 2 trochus snails. I do weekly water changes but thinking of doing biweekly

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’ve been thinking about adding a new fish just scared since it’s only a 15gallon. So far my stock is 2 clowns, 1 fire shrimp (just added), 1 hermit, 3 cerith snails, and 2 trochus snails. I do weekly water changes but thinking of doing biweekly
I would keep doing the weekly water changes. I started with a 20 gallon tank and once I got off of weekly water changes my tank changed (not for the good) rather quickly. At its peak I had 2 clowns, 2 wrasse and an Anthias which I acknowledge was 1 to many. I would max out at 4 fish.

OP
OP
T

thisguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep doing the weekly water changes. I started with a 20 gallon tank and once I got off of weekly water changes my tank changed (not for the good) rather quickly. At its peak I had 2 clowns, 2 wrasse and an Anthias which I acknowledge was 1 to many. I would max out at 4 fish.
I’ll stick with the weekly changes then lol. I’ve been eyeing a Helfrichi firefish saw one at my LFS and needed it instantly

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellet foods usually have higher phosphates. Frozen mysis will also increase nitrates and phosphates.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan. Which phosphate additive ?

Calcium Phosphate (Ca3(PO4)2) ?

No, that's not soluble.

I recommend any food grade sodium phosphate (mono, di, or tri sodium).

Rhapsody in Blue Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have a question. What’s a good and safe way to raise phosphates? I always read that you wanted your nitrates and phosphates to be o. But since getting back into the hobby I’ve seen/read you’ll want a little of both in your tank. I started my tank in July so still new but just curious. My filtration is simple just filter pads, chemipure elite, and seachem matrix. Should I take the chemipure out while trying to the raise phosphates? I have 3 corals in my tank 2 are doing ok but one frogspawn isn’t it’s just closed up and receding. My parameters look ok except for the phosphates.
  • Alk 8-9 dKH
  • PH 7.8-8
  • Nitrate 0
  • Nitrite 0
  • Ammonia 0
  • Salinity 1.025
  • Temp 77-78
  • Cal 420
  • Mag 1,600-1,700
  • Phos 0.00 (Hanna)
Mike Paletta did a survey during the pandemic of many peoples tanks who had very successful coral growth, and the common denominator was even though some people ran high, medium or low nutrients, they all had some and the ratio of nitrates to phosphates is 100:1

This was also echoed in Fauna Marin’s database of research. My nitrates stay around 8-10 and phosphates around .08-.1

Back