AquaCave

Chojubai

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Starting a build thread (and my introduction post to this forum) for first tank and reef. My plan is to have an almost entirely SPS dominant Acropora reef.

Tank
Red Sea Reefer 500 Peninsula (white)
Total system 132 gallons
Display Tank - 105 gallons
Sump - 27 gallons

Gear
Reef Octopus Regal 150 Protein Skimmer
RedSea ReefMat Fleece Roller Filter
2 VorTech MP40's by EcoTech
2 Radion XR15's by EcoTech (with their rail mount system)
Reef Octopus Varios-6 Pump
Apex Controller System

Gear that I still need to purchase, a couple Versa Dosing Pumps from EcoTech, a battery backup for my MP40's, and an electrical controller panel. I'm also thinking about adding a UV to the system, and adding a dual return for redundancy. I'll also add some lights under the sump, and paint my plumbing to look nice and sharp once I decide on a cool color scheme.

Aquascape
I'll be doing an aquascape with MarcoRock, something modern/minimalist while still providing habitat for my fish (Like BRStv's HNSA). I'll likely do sand (tropic eden mesoflakes) but I really like white bare-bottom tanks like Emoceans on Instagram. I like floating pillars or islands that have tree-like forms with acropora growing on them.

Fish
I plan to buy already quarantined fish from Elliot at Marine Collectors. I don't have the time or space to quarantine myself, and after watching several videos of him on BRStv I really trust him and his process.

Fish Plan:
3 Anthias (Bimaculatus)
7 Blue Green Chromis
1 Yellow Tang
1 White Tail Tang
1 Powder Blue Hybrid Tang
1 Diamond Goby
1 Six-Line Wrasse

Plan
Almost everything is ordered and in route. I plan to build my aquascape first so I can start conditioning that in a brute container which will allow me to take my time (a couple months) to build the tank and trick out the sump. Hopefully I'll be able to start adding fish in October, but I'm going to be patient and try not to rush things.

Fish Plan.png Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 11.01.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 11.05.41 PM.png

BRS
Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

I.AM.MR.MIKE

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
The DOS is not that loud for dosing small amounts through the day, not annoying and noises bother me. I know it is working. It is quite annoying for large doses or water changes. Lets put it this way, it is less annoying than the REEFMAT is when it advances and I don't find it terrible and like to know it is advancing. Now the Red Sea Skimmer pumps are very annoying to me.

OP
Chojubai

Chojubai

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Update
Still waiting for the tank but it has shipped. All the equipment is here, I got 2 versa dosing pumps rather than the DOS. Updated the aquascape and planned a QT for chromis. Ordered 3 30lb bags of Tropic Eden Mesoflakes, leaning towards using sand rather than bare bottom.

Aquascape
I revised and added to the aquascape today, feels much better and will likely be somewhat final. I tried to balance my love of minimalism and negative space while also providing good habitat for fish. I guess some people call this HNSA.

QT
Also ordered a bunch of medications, will start quarantining and treating chromis once the tank arrives. Took advice from Elliot at Marine Collectors and HumbleFish. 45 minute formalin bath on arrival and 14 days in metronidazole (in tank and in food) for urenoma. Then another 14 days in copper/nitrofurazone for ich, velvet and freshwater bathes during the water changes for flukes. 100% water changes every 3 days. I'll do this while the tank is cycling.

tempImageVx8iQf.png tempImagejxBAHK.png tempImage3lyoE9.png

benmed

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Update
Still waiting for the tank but it has shipped. All the equipment is here, I got 2 versa dosing pumps rather than the DOS. Updated the aquascape and planned a QT for chromis. Ordered 3 30lb bags of Tropic Eden Mesoflakes, leaning towards using sand rather than bare bottom.

Aquascape
I revised and added to the aquascape today, feels much better and will likely be somewhat final. I tried to balance my love of minimalism and negative space while also providing good habitat for fish. I guess some people call this HNSA.

QT
Also ordered a bunch of medications, will start quarantining and treating chromis once the tank arrives. Took advice from Elliot at Marine Collectors and HumbleFish. 45 minute formalin bath on arrival and 14 days in metronidazole (in tank and in food) for urenoma. Then another 14 days in copper/nitrofurazone for ich, velvet and freshwater bathes during the water changes for flukes. 100% water changes every 3 days. I'll do this while the tank is cycling.

tempImageVx8iQf.png tempImagejxBAHK.png tempImage3lyoE9.png
Rock scape looks cool. Will be interesting to see what the fish like. when the time comes, put a video of the fish interacting with the rocks.

Reef Chasers Aquaculture
AquaCave

Do you have any special reefing plans for the fall season?

• YES (tell us about it in the thread)

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • NO

Votes: 65 46.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • It's not fall where I'm from!

Votes: 6 4.3%