How do you get Favia to Grow? They Will not Grow Whatsoever for me. Had Them for Years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get Favia to Grow?

I have 6 Different Favia.

I have had all of them for 2 to 3 Years with absolutly no Growth Whatsoever!!!!

It is driving me nuts.

I mean I have Chalice's that grow great for me and they are supposed to be the slowest growers in the coral World.

I see some Big Favia from time to time too.

What is the Secret?

How do you get these Corals to Grow?

patrickreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed them? I have 4 different favias and my christmas favia grows quickly. Two grow slowly and one has not shown any growth. I have just started target feeding and they appear to be happier and growing faster I think (maybe it is just wishful thinking).

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed them? I have 4 different favias and my christmas favia grows quickly. Two grow slowly and one has not shown any growth. I have just started target feeding and they appear to be happier and growing faster I think (maybe it is just wishful thinking).

No, I do not Feed them.

What do you feed your Favia?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Favias only grow millimeters per year. I've had one for 5 years and it's only slightly bigger but more round. I have another (war coral) that grows fast. It's grown down and onto the glass in only a few years.

This is one of the reasons I hate seeing small Favia frags. It takes many years to grow a nice colony depending on species.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Favias only grow millimeters per year. I've had one for 5 years and it's only slightly bigger but more round. I have another (war coral) that grows fast. It's grown down and onto the glass in only a few years.

This is one of the reasons I hate seeing small Favia frags. It takes many years to grow a nice colony depending on species.

Good to know.

I will buy Larger Favia in the Future.

So are they slower than Chalices in terms of Growth then?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only do I feed my Favias but I've noticed faster growth when they are place in front of or near the intake. Down stream so to speak :) They are the slowest growing coral I've ever had.

August of 2009
yhe7uhy5.jpg

Today
uby5a6uh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my 2 favias fauna marin LPS pellets once weekly and they've both gong from 12-20 polyps inside of 8 months. I've got a baby's breath and another similar whose name escapes me at the moment and they seem to grow well and eat a tone. I feed the tank mysis and plankton once weekly and the favia will grab whatever passes them by. They love to eat.

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just viewing this thread, and I wanted to bump it up for you fellow Favia/Favites enthusiasts! I currently feed my dragon soul and hell bender favites and every month I see 3 times as much growth on those 2 than the rest of them. Granted this may not be the reason and just judging upon the dragon soul being a pentagon species and developing faster this is my 2 cents. Hope it helps guys.

P.S always nice reviving an old thread!

JBslick81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a seriously old post but. I just had a baby and did not look at my tank for 2 months. Scraped the glass and found this.

IMG_2331.PNG

It looked like this at the end of April. So about 5 months growth with 3 more heads. I have done nothing to the water beyond top offs and my parameters I'm sure are terrible. Any ID on this would be cool too.
That is sexy

IMG_1233.JPG

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only do I feed my Favias but I've noticed faster growth when they are place in front of or near the intake. Down stream so to speak :) They are the slowest growing coral I've ever had.

August of 2009
yhe7uhy5.jpg

Today
uby5a6uh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

I’ve the exact same Favia, but I don’t know its name, do you know what is it called?

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just viewing this thread, and I wanted to bump it up for you fellow Favia/Favites enthusiasts! I currently feed my dragon soul and hell bender favites and every month I see 3 times as much growth on those 2 than the rest of them. Granted this may not be the reason and just judging upon the dragon soul being a pentagon species and developing faster this is my 2 cents. Hope it helps guys.

P.S always nice reviving an old thread!

What are you feeding them? How many times/week? Where are they placed in your tank?

Thanks!

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed them reef roída. They are towards the bottom of the tank about 16 inches below the water line. The light is a powerful 300w long vipar spectra (China box light).
dKH is around 9-10 and calcium is around 400.

The dragon soul favia is on the left and on the right o have two jack o lanterns, another dragon soul, a watermelon, and a orange one with a green “skirt” that is an encruster as well. Barely any growth of any.

Any tips are appreciated.

3848157A-352C-4500-A2B2-0EB63435E294.jpeg

Gene C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190615_080732.jpg
This frag was purchased with two polyps. It was placed in a biocube for over a year with no obvious growth. A few months ago it was moved to a 125 gallon tank illuminated by the 3 Radion XR30W Gen 4 lights. Running the SPS AB+ setting at 55% intensity. The color has returned and growth has been much improved. Feed reef roids 3x a week. Red Sea Part A & B 3x a week and phytoplankton a couple days a week.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back