How do you run your t5's.

dub3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to see how you guys put your t5's to use. In regards to fixture size and tank size and color combos.
I am running a 2 bulb 36" fixture. One 10k white and a pure actinic, along with a marineland led fixture just for the blues. I get good growth with my t5's so I am hesitant to go to LEDs solely.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched my LED's out for a 6 bulb ATI T5 fixture and I'm extremely happy that I did.

The fixture is 60" long and I have 5 ATI Blue Plus and 1 ATI Purple Plus.

Defect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just switched out my LED's for a 24" ATI dimmable sunpower fixture. 6 bulbs 4 Blue plus,1 aqua blue special, and one purple plus. My tank is 24x22x22. Right now the light is hanging 10 inches from the water surface. Couldnt be happier with the color. As soon as I put it on my tank my acans looked 10x better. It's only been on for a week so havent noticed any major improvements yet as far as SPS go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dub3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U guys are making me feel better about my t5s. Skinz, u happy with the blue/purple with no whites? I am looking to get more blue in my tank, but was worried about not running any whites.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U guys are making me feel better about my t5s. Skinz, u happy with the blue/purple with no whites? I am looking to get more blue in my tank, but was worried about not running any whites.

Sure am, here is a true pic' of my reef.

10468126_905980432749586_3024880427316642353_o.jpg

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched my LED's out for a 6 bulb ATI T5 fixture and I'm extremely happy that I did.

I'm running close to this, I have a 4x80w fixture and run 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI True Actinic, & 1 ATI Purple Plus, I like it. It only has a few softies so can't comment on say SPS growth, but I'd say skinz other pic of his setup is pretty darn accurate of how it appears IRL. Very nice tank btw skinz!

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running a cebu sun fixture, 2 250w mh and 4 t5. Running 2 b+, coral + and Purple +

Big Wave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS were just okay under only my Maxspect Razor. I added two Blue+, an Aquablue Special, and a Coral+. I only run them for 4 hours/day, but now my corals have never been fuller, more colorful. Hasn't made them grow any faster, but everything seems to appreciate the T5s.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched out my leds for a 6x54 ati t5 fixture

Blue+
Blue+
Coral+
Coral+
Blue+
Blue+

My Alk and calcium demand has tripled since the switch. My corals are much happier

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my T5's by electricity:)

I have a 29 gal and one whit and one blue. I should really think about upgrading to a 4 bulb system

4 bulbs is worlds better :D. I actually have a 36" 4 bulb T5HO that I'm debating getting rid of.. it's an odler Nova fixture, that I've had 5 years, but only used for about 6 months and had just replaced the bulbs from OEM all 10K to 2 ATI 10K and 2 corallife actinic (mostly purple - high nm light). (maybe have 1 month of use) PM me if your interested in it.

I loved my T5HO in the above configuration running 6 hours a day full light and 10 hours of actinic. (2 hour lead on the actinics either way). Great color and nice growth :)

I swapped to MH when I moved up to a 48" 55gallon, and I find the shimmer and more natural look of the MH output much more aesthetically pleasing personally. Though, I am debating going back to the 4 bulb T5 for a few reasons. A)Quieter, B)Less electricity, C)less light spill with some shielding added to the fixture, can't do it with MH, LOL D)HEAT. That last one wasn't a problem on the 55G, but the 29 doesn't seem to have enough water volume to resist the heat as well, even with a pump circulating very near the top to help keep it from being a problem :/

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to see how you guys put your t5's to use. In regards to fixture size and tank size and color combos.
I am running a 2 bulb 36" fixture. One 10k white and a pure actinic, along with a marineland led fixture just for the blues. I get good growth with my t5's so I am hesitant to go to LEDs solely.
I am running a 6 bulb 48" t5 over a 75g tank with a Marineland led this is my first time using them but notice better color on my acans already will see how it does growth wise

Chalicedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ditched the LED's as well and I just ordered this exact combo cant wait to try it out...

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an 8 bulb ati sunpower over my 120 gallon 48x24x24 sps tank
5 blue plus, 2 coral plus, 1 aqua blue special.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 24" t5 quad fixture with 2 actinics and 2 coral plus bulbs over my 10 gallon tank. I'm about to get rid of the actinics and put in 2 blue plus bulbs and a 12" blue stunner strip just for shimmer and color pop.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 bulbs is worlds better :D. I actually have a 36" 4 bulb T5HO that I'm debating getting rid of.. it's an odler Nova fixture, that I've had 5 years, but only used for about 6 months and had just replaced the bulbs from OEM all 10K to 2 ATI 10K and 2 corallife actinic (mostly purple - high nm light). (maybe have 1 month of use) PM me if your interested in it.

I loved my T5HO in the above configuration running 6 hours a day full light and 10 hours of actinic. (2 hour lead on the actinics either way). Great color and nice growth :)

I swapped to MH when I moved up to a 48" 55gallon, and I find the shimmer and more natural look of the MH output much more aesthetically pleasing personally. Though, I am debating going back to the 4 bulb T5 for a few reasons. A)Quieter, B)Less electricity, C)less light spill with some shielding added to the fixture, can't do it with MH, LOL D)HEAT. That last one wasn't a problem on the 55G, but the 29 doesn't seem to have enough water volume to resist the heat as well, even with a pump circulating very near the top to help keep it from being a problem :/

I would say yes, but I was offered a ATI with 4 dimmable bulbs about an hour ago.. I might be jumping on that deal tomorrow morning :)
Thanks for the offer! and I can't wait to see how much of a difference it makes on the tank

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back