How does my RBTA look

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if it looks healthy and how often I should feed it. Been doing frozen brine shrimp 2x a week.

Thanks in advance!

image.jpg image.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks healthy. I would feed it shrimp or fish for human consumption rather than aquarium food. Avoid smelly food, meaning spoiled food.
You can also feed it pellets or flakes. Anemone eat those without problem.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get one of the seafood medley package and feed them that. Much cheaper and better for them than frozen fish food.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Looks good. I don’t feed mine at all. It gets from feeding the tank. Plus they similar to corals usephotosythesis. So mine gets a mixture of octopus, salmon, shrimp, silversides and other seafoods I purchase at an oriental market and purée to make my own fish food. I have five total in 4 different tanks and they all do great. Only one has split.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks healthy. I would feed it shrimp or fish for human consumption rather than aquarium food. Avoid smelly food, meaning spoiled food.
You can also feed it pellets or flakes. Anemone eat those without problem.
would a small piece of thawed sliver sides be safe? I’ve heard mixed things about them, and if I feed shrimp should it be uncooked or cooked? and if uncooked should I remove the shell first?

jthunderzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks good to me like many others have said. I feed mine a piece of shrimp (human food) every week. Unseasoned and not peeled are the ones I usually use. Just have a bag of them in my freezer. I break off a tail rinse it in hot water until its mushy and my nem loves it. Has grown a ton since I got him.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks good to me like many others have said. I feed mine a piece of shrimp (human food) every week. Unseasoned and not peeled are the ones I usually use. Just have a bag of them in my freezer. I break off a tail rinse it in hot water until its mushy and my nem loves it. Has grown a ton since I got him.
uncooked i presume?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your anemone looks good and young.

I feed it directly with a turkey baster of the mixed frozen fish food about 2-3 times a week. I broadcast feed my tank 2 times a day every day, they love it.

keep it up

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a small piece of thawed sliver sides be safe? I’ve heard mixed things about them, and if I feed shrimp should it be uncooked or cooked? and if uncooked should I remove the shell first?
I don’t like using silversides. My nems would eat them but seemed stressed by them. They have a lot of bones.

I just get mini frozen cooked shrimps de shelled. Keep them in the freezer. Thaw one in tank water and drop it on them. They love them and grow like crazy.

Something like in the pic below.

IMG_1236.jpeg

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people are saying uncooked unpeeled others are saying cooked and peeled, I’m just gonna go ahead and assume that either will work…

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A note when feeding shrimp (human grade):

Make sure that the shrimp does not contain STPP (Sodium triphosphate). It's oftentimes added a preservative and used to maintain moisture (which adds weight to the product being sold). Since it's salt based, I believe too much of it can cause some of the problems we see when anemones look sick, particularly deflation. They ingest the shrimp and their internal specific gravity and/or phosphate levels shoot up.

Look at the ingredient list. The only ingredient should be shrimp. When it does contain STPP, the ingredient list oftentimes looks like this:

1710521041899.png

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people are saying uncooked unpeeled others are saying cooked and peeled, I’m just gonna go ahead and assume that either will work…
They should be UNCOOKED and PEELED.

As with many foods, the cooking process typically removes nutrients.

Regarding the shell, most agree that it doesn't offer much added nutrition and is just more for the anemone to have to process (which exerts energy). If you've ever seen an anemone eat a fish, they typical expel the bones.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I prefer uncooked. but i do purchase peeled and deveined. peeling shrimp every night for feeding my predators takes too much time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back