How hungry are your fish?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How much food do your fish go through in a single feeding?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 240 if I add one cube of mysis it will be gone in about 3-4 seconds, if I do 2 cubes it last about 15.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah for me it depends on the fish. My cardinal and royal gramma will eat a bit each time I feed the tank then just sort of chill. My yellow watchman hides for a couple days then gorges on everything that passes their hole entrance. The possum wrasse eats pods all day and treats feeding time like a turbo pod explosion so they still "hunt" but they eat quite a bit during feedings that gets into the rockwork. The next tier will eat a lot but eventually seem to get full. That includes the lawnmower blenny and the anthias. The final tier is the "will eat until the food is gone" tier. The clownfish, clown goby, one spot foxface, and tomini tang are in this tier.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use cubes so I don't know how to describe it. I just fed about 2" of earth worms to my 3 red Waspfish and about an inch and a half square of LRS food to everybody else.

I try to feed on the low side and not every day. I have about 40 mostly smaller fish.

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how much food I actually put in the tanks. I flood the tanks with frozen twice a day so it blows all over for fish and corals. I feed pellets as treats through out the day. Almost all of my fish see me as the food giver and swim to the front any time I'm near. They even swim to the end closest to me if I'm in the other room and they can see me. I enjoy the recognition.

EDIT: I tend to keep more large fish than small but the smaller ones come out an get their share. This guy has only been in the tank a couple of weeks and is already begging and eating from the stick I use to add the food. I guess my fish are more pets than just something to look at and care for.
PXL_20240327_152416842.jpg

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how much food I actually put in the tanks. I flood the tanks with frozen twice a day so it blows all over for fish and corals. I feed pellets as treats through out the day. Almost all of my fish see me as the food giver and swim to the front any time I'm near. They even swim to the end closest to me if I'm in the other room and they can see me. I enjoy the recognition.
Same here… tons of food lol

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are fatties others are more health conscious watching their carbs and saturated fats
I need my fish to join whatever group yours are in. I've tried Atkins, keto, just plain ol starvation, they still are fat :face-with-tears-of-joy:.

For real, I feed usually two-three times a day. When I'm not traveling the 120 gets 3-4 cubes of diy food and the 50g usually gets one. Both tanks drop pelleted/flake food twice a day regardless (less hassle than setting up constantly when I have to work travel).

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish will keep eating until they burst. So i feed a heavy 1/2” pinch of flake food, a cube of frozen (different tanks), and the fowlr tank gets cut up shrimp, clams, scallops, and silversides. Five tanks total, so a lot of food is fed, but every other day. Flow is turned off for feeding.
But Puffy always tells me when it’s time to eat…
84.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need my fish to join whatever group yours are in. I've tried Atkins, keto, just plain ol starvation, they still are fat :face-with-tears-of-joy:.

For real, I feed usually two-three times a day. When I'm not traveling the 120 gets 3-4 cubes of diy food and the 50g usually gets one. Both tanks drop pelleted/flake food twice a day regardless (less hassle than setting up constantly when I have to work travel).
Haha, while I was trying to be a little comical of course, it's very true in my tank. The fish that float around all day not getting their 10,000 tail swipes in eat like pigs and are fat. The other fish that are swimming around non stop all day are lean and mean and only nibble proportionally each meal with a very health conscious approach.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 9 fish and they get fed a pinch of flakes or pellets in the morning and in the evening get either a cube of mysis or brine shrimp or about a 1" square of Reef Frenzy. I also feed a sheet of Nori 5 or 6 days a week.

My YWG and Hippo Tang eat more than anything else. Absolute savages at feeding time.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish act like they are starving to death despite being obese. Tank is a 150 and I feed 2 one inch squares of LRS in the morning and then 1-2 one inch squares of Rod’s in the eve. They get NLS and TDO pellets whenever the begging gets to be too much to bear. They also get a full sheet of nori every day to every other day.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine act like they've never been fed. I have a plastic cup and just pour some in and its usually gone in seconds. I do have to add some live brine for my Tamarin Wrasse

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish eat almost constantly, about a tablespoon or so of various flake foods daily in addition to a bi-weekly feeding of homemade frozen. I feed this much specifically for my trigger since he needs a LOT of food to actually grow. He could probably eat his weight in frozen every day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back