How is this for plumbing?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I took everyone’s advice weighted for internet points and feasibility. Here is the new configuration. I added in that expensive one way ball check valve and removed the manifold. I’ve decided when I need UV I’ll just use a separate pump my Apex can control.
IMG_2844.jpeg
IMG_2846.jpeg
How'd I miss that the first time! I'm dumb and inattentive sometimes. You really could have only used 2 90s on that return and had a straighter run. So for all those "every gph counts" people, you'd make 'em happy. If you are happy it looks solid, and you fixed some issues.

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How'd I miss that the first time! I'm dumb and inattentive sometimes. You really could have only used 2 90s on that return and had a straighter run. So for all those "every gph counts" people, you'd make 'em happy. If you are happy it looks solid, and you fixed some issues.
Well I had bought a box of 45s on the advice of BRS and returning them was too much a PITA. Its a tad more complicated this way but the waterflow would be smoother. I am "every gph counts" because due to purchasing limitations and available stock for some of the pieces I needed I went with 3/4" plumbing. Add the 90s and I felt I would be working my pump(s) a bit too hard.

For the future:
I have a few more unions so I may add them in when I do the gluing so I can take out sections and redo it without too much fuss. Most of the items I got for this plumbing is non-returnable or too much of an effort to do so.

With what I have on hand, I think this new config works ok.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had bought a box of 45s on the advice of BRS and returning them was too much a PITA. Its a tad more complicated this way but the waterflow would be smoother. I am "every gph counts" because due to purchasing limitations and available stock for some of the pieces I needed I went with 3/4" plumbing. Add the 90s and I felt I would be working my pump(s) a bit too hard.

For the future:
I have a few more unions so I may add them in when I do the gluing so I can take out sections and redo it without too much fuss. Most of the items I got for this plumbing is non-returnable or too much of an effort to do so.

With what I have on hand, I think this new config works ok.
I see and understand. I wouldn't add any more stuff then you absolutely have to since you are a "every gph" person. Definitely not on the return side, should be easy enough to take apart.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I took everyone’s advice weighted for internet points and feasibility. Here is the new configuration. I added in that expensive one way ball check valve and removed the manifold. I’ve decided when I need UV I’ll just use a separate pump my Apex can control.
IMG_2844.jpeg
IMG_2846.jpeg

Better. Just be aware that in a biologically active water system, check valves don’t function most of the time. Something will grow on the seal seat or crawl into the valve and then it’s useless. All it takes is one sponge, one feather duster work, one piece of grit or grime, and the check valve will leak. Instead, properly fill the system and you never have to worry about back flow.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back