how long does copper take to kill Ich

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure is, check out that streamer (and thanks for asking), a good year on since that post

20181015_083707.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure is, check out that streamer (and thanks for asking), a good year on since that post

20181015_083707.jpg
Beautiful fish! That's as impressive as any I have seen!

json216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I read one study (will have to find it) which claimed a theront is damaged almost immediately after emerging from it's tomont (in copper water). Like you said, the severity of damage is highly dependent upon whether or not the copper is being maintained at a proper therapeutic level. Subtherapeutic copper may allow some of the theronts to survive and complete their lifecycle; and then the next wave could be more resistant to copper in the water. ;Nailbiting
Hippo has been in qt for 17 days..all with copper power at 2.0 to 2.36 on hanna...coral beaty and a chromi have never had a spot..hippo since day 1 had a few spots..then for like a week the spots just stayed in same place..I figured maybe flukes or sores..so i gave a 3 min fw dip..2 days later tons of spots...man will this even go away after 30 days...and I'm guessing I can't put the other 2 fish in display..if there's 1 spot on them..how can I ever have the faith to put them in display

rd62rdstr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo has been in qt for 17 days..all with copper power at 2.0 to 2.36 on hanna...coral beaty and a chromi have never had a spot..hippo since day 1 had a few spots..then for like a week the spots just stayed in same place..I figured maybe flukes or sores..so i gave a 3 min fw dip..2 days later tons of spots...man will this even go away after 30 days...and I'm guessing I can't put the other 2 fish in display..if there's 1 spot on them..how can I ever have the faith to put them in display
We’re all 3 in copper together? My I have a goby, file fish and green chromis in copper now. Almost 14 days. Plan is to treat with metro and kanaplex next 14 days and then go from there to a intermediate 29g that has previously been fallow for 2 months and now run at 93 degrees for two weeks to kill anything off. My display has been fallow since 12/31 and I won’t place them back in til May. It is currently running at 93 degrees RODI with no salt at all. Combination of fallow and extreme hyposalinity.

chegz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, sorry to dig up an old post. If ich falls off in 3-7 days and therapetic copper levels prevent 'free swimmers' from re-attaching, is it safe to move a fish to your display tank after say 10 days to be safe?

Everything I've read infers yes but refers too TTM as opposed to straight into the display?

I get that 30 days is needed for the QT itself due to cysts.

Main reason I'm asking is that the Australian distributors announced the last shipment of Yellow Tangs today so I'm keen to secure one (aqua cultured tangs are banned for import here, can you believe that nonsense!) my LFS has put $250 on it, more than a purple tang! and double what it cost yesterday :(

Thanks

@HotRocks @Big G @4FordFamily
I’m having to run my display fallow for 31 days as my fish have Ich. They are in a hospital tank now being treated with copper. I have some nice coral in the display so obviously can’t treat the tank for Ich. By leaving no fish in the tank for 31 days it’s said to starve any Ich parasites to death in that time.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back