How long will a mantis hide in freshwater?

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have just caught a mantis in some of my rocks. I watched it go into a hole in this rock so I pulled it out and threw it into a bin of freshly made RO water. I'm 95% sure he's in there. I didn't see him leave the rock when I pulled it out of the tank and I was only away from the rock for a minute or two after I saw him swim in.

How long until this guy leaves the rocks so I can be sure I got him? I can leave it in there indefinitely, but I would like to either catch it or at least find the corpse so I can be sure it's gone. Don't want him dying in the rock if I can avoid it.

I don't have any plain soda to pour into the rock, just La Croix. Is there another way to get him to leave?

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They die very fast in fresh water. I killed some in a few seconds by accident.

OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They die very fast in fresh water. I killed some in a few seconds by accident.
Well I was hoping to catch it and maybe set up a separate display but guess that's not gonna happen now unless it managed to escape the rock.

OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting that they die so fast in fresh water. Are they notably intolerant of fresh water? One of my peppermints was in the rock too and it scurried out right away. I put it back in the display and it's doing fine.

OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if it died in the rock, will the exoskeleton decompose in any meaningful way? Just wondering if that hole is now forever blocked. I'm not sure I have any detritovores that'll fit in there.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably dead already.

They don't tolerate freshwater very well. If you intended to keep it alive best method is isolating the suspected rock and just playing the waiting game in a separate saltwater container, either trapping it or baiting it out. They learn to take frozen pretty fast and when they smell it will start to venture out more.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I find here in the Long Island Sound are about 6". I kept one for 2 years once. Fascinating creatures but I am glad they don't grow as big as people. :oops:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%

Back