How to catch a Mantis

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,
I do believe I have a Mantis in my thank, I can hear the typical punch they do from time to time. At the same time I’m having unreasonable death of shrimps and small fishes. I think it’s the mantis. Unfortunatelly I cannot see where it’s hidden. Is there a way to catch it or another way to neutralize it?
Thanks

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck!

I caught one in the wild last Spring and it's been a good citizen in my 40g breeder aio tank. I'd suggest removing all the fish to a different holding tank and then stop feeding the tank with the mantis. At the same time, set up a fish trap. After a week or so, put some meaty food in the trap and see if the mantis will go for it.

I only see mine when I feed the tank. And it hasn't bothered my clowns, sea cucumber or urchins.

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,
I do believe I have a Mantis in my thank, I can hear the typical punch they do from time to time. At the same time I’m having unreasonable death of shrimps and small fishes. I think it’s the mantis. Unfortunatelly I cannot see where it’s hidden. Is there a way to catch it or another way to neutralize it?
Thanks
Pistol shrimp also make a clicking sound.
Easy way to know if it’s a pistol shrimp or mantis by sound alone is the consecutive number of clicks. A pistol will only click once, as they need time to reload the tension, while a mantis can have several consecutive clicks.

It’s also not going to go after your fish, but it will definitely reduce your clean up crew over time - snails and crabs depending on how big it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billyreef-ita

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck!

I caught one in the wild last Spring and it's been a good citizen in my 40g breeder aio tank. I'd suggest removing all the fish to a different holding tank and then stop feeding the tank with the mantis. At the same time, set up a fish trap. After a week or so, put some meaty food in the trap and see if the mantis will go for it.

I only see mine when I feed the tank. And it hasn't bothered my clowns, sea cucumber or urchins.
Thanks Ron!

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back