Wennerae mantis shrimp.

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, does anybody have experience with a Wennerae mantis shrimp? I have heard that they are small and I think I might wanna keep one by itself in a ten gallon because that's what I've heard they can live in. I also would like to keep some sort of fish in with it.. Either a mantis shrimp tank or a nano reef tank! Would also like some opinions on that if I should do mantis or reef!
Thanks
Camden
#reefsquad

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I have no experience with Mantis shrimp. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Wennerae in 7.5g for a year and a half now. They're really cool and pretty social. I wouldn't count on keeping anything else in there. Mine kills everything: snails, hermits, emerald crabs, fish. I tried to put a couple salt-acclimated mollies in there and he immediately killed one and I had to remove the second one before he found it. They're killing machines. I have various macroalgae in mine.

53514261915_c6b6ef277f_k.jpg

53514145814_ce50f0bbe6_h.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, does anybody have experience with a Wennerae mantis shrimp? I have heard that they are small and I think I might wanna keep one by itself in a ten gallon because that's what I've heard they can live in. I also would like to keep some sort of fish in with it.. Either a mantis shrimp tank or a nano reef tank! Would also like some opinions on that if I should do mantis or reef!
Thanks
Camden
#reefsquad
20 long ideal and provide rocks and caves and prepare to buy snails and crabs as well as seafood for it

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you all. I just have too find one and I will be sold!
I got mine from Salty Bottom Reef. Even when it says out of stock, just sign up for the waiting list. They usually get them back in fairly quick.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from Salty Bottom Reef. Even when it says out of stock, just sign up for the waiting list. They usually get them back in fairly quick.
Ok thanks. They can't break through the packaging if they try right? Or my tank?

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. They can't break through the packaging if they try right? Or my tank?
I wouldn't be too concerned. My tank's glass is 1/4" or less, rimless, and he's hit it hard many times to no ill effect.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tiny species can’t really do damage to glass. Not every mantis is a killing machine! I’ve had some that don’t bother anything. Some only bother snails/crabs smaller than they are. If you check the forums here, people might be willing to ship hitchhikers they don’t want :) or they could be close enough to you!

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All smashers can chip thin glass over time, its just uncommon your average glass aquarium is thin enough to experience it. Plastic containers break all the time from them.

Simple solution; sheet of pexi/acrylic on the bottom of the tank, if it happens to dig down it can't do anything then.

N. wennerae can be kept in anything as small as you're comfortable managing. I aim for 2-5 gallons personally, 10 gallon a lot of space is wasted.

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two that hitchhiked on my Florida live rock. I believe both are Wennerae and are pretty much harmless. They've lived in a 50 gallon with a clownfish, striped blenny, small clown goby, fathead anthias and orchid dottyback for nearly 2 years without issue. My biggest problem with them is that they take out my peppermint shrimp over time so I have to replenish them, but other than that, they are absolutely my favorite hitchhikers. One of them I had taken to hand feeding with some tongs a few times a week which was super cool. He stopped attempting to smash the tongs early on. Unfortunately, I tried remove and rehome him due to the peppermint shrimp thing but he got sucked in to the protein skimmer when I temporarily put him in my sump. I recently discovered that I had a second mantis who is even smaller yet, but similar color and appearance as the first. More reclusive as well. I may trap him and put him in a 10g because he honestly can't be anymore than 1.5" at the most.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I would love to get rock like that with hitchhikers in a bigger tank with multiple ones that can coexist with so much space! So jealous

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kpaquatics is the best. I also got a gorgeous pistol shrimp but he's super elusive which is a shame because he's stunning orange and purple colors. In another tank I got several full size brittle stars, some encrusting green coral which is nice and many full size brittle stars which are excellent CUC lol. People fear monger a lot about live rock hitchikers but I love them.

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one come in on an order of TBS live rock about 20 years ago or so. I'd hear the clicking at night and couldn't find the dang thing. Took me about forever before I saw it. Was quite small (2" or so) and a pretty green. It lived with a pair of GSMs, a mandarin, and a few others in a 42 hex for a number of years (5ish maybe) before I tore the tank down. Could only catch an occasional glimpse at night. Never seemed to do any harm that I could see.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back