Mantis shrimp with other fish?

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am going to put a wennerae mantis shrimp in a ten gallon long tank. I was wondering if with coral could I put some sort of other fish with the mantis shrimp? Examples: clownfish, damsels, or a goby/blenny of some sort? Let me know if you guys know anything! I heard the wennerae are less aggressive?

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have an orchid dottyback in my 15g my 15g with my curacaoensis. They're pals. Neither one minds the other in the least.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
I have an orchid dottyback in my 15g my 15g with my curacaoensis. They're pals. Neither one minds the other in the least.
Alright. I was thinking of putting a pair of clownfish in there but i'm not sure.. it would also be cool too put a yellow watchmen in or possibly a dottyback what do you think #reefsquad ?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting fish in a small tank with a mantis shrimp will always come with risks. Have a backup plan if it doesn't seem to work out.

An orchid dotty back would be my pick, because they are very aggresive fish, and the mantis shrimp might leave it alone.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
A

Alright. I was thinking of putting a pair of clownfish in there but i'm not sure.. it would also be cool too put a yellow watchmen in or possibly a dottyback what do you think #reefsquad ?

I wouldn't go for a goby or any other fish that likes to live near the sand. I feel like that is just tempting fate. Just my opinion

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't kept a mantis, but I'll give my opinion anyway. Ha.

It looks like that species is a small one, 3-4"?

I still wouldn't keep it with small fish that I cared about. Motile inverts like crabs would be food. Fish would be safer but not safe. A cheap damsel, I would try. I would think that corals would be okay.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. I will probably try a dottyback or some clownfish not sure yet though.
Sounds good! Like I said many times before, I will be very interested to see what you end up with!

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, don't do it. The most at risk fish with a mantis are small ones, and only small ones are going to fit in a 10G in the long term. If you had some more space, you'd have some more options, but most of what I think would be comfortable in a small space could just be food for it.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don't buy food specifically for him. I have 5 tanks, of which my largest is a 110g predator tank. I have krill, octopus, clams, shrimp, etc. on hand at all times. I also keep several small crabs - hermits & emerald - as snacks/friends in the tank as well.

Mine is very active and has quite the personality.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't buy food specifically for him. I have 5 tanks, of which my largest is a 110g predator tank. I have krill, octopus, clams, shrimp, etc. on hand at all times. I also keep several small crabs - hermits & emerald - as snacks/friends in the tank as well.

Mine is very active and has quite the personality.
Thank you could I just feed it some LRS food?
1708372664280.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back