How many diseases does this fish have?

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't my foxface, just trying to help out an acquaintance. He's currently copper treating for cryptocaryon, but I also see pop-eye, and are those turbellarians (black ich)? I also see scrapes on the eyes, missing scales on the dark part of the body, a recessed upper-lip, and a healed lesion on the left side. It looks like his right pectoral fin is mostly missing, but the owner said it's just the photos. Apparently it's had trouble with the dorsal spines since he got it. Poor little guy.

The owner has it in a 130 gallon tank, does water changes every 2 weeks, and he's never had more than about 7 fish in the tank (the foxface is the largest). He quarantines all new fish for 1-1.5 months and treats them with copper and prazi pro. It sounds like he has pretty good practices, but I suppose sometimes pathogens can evade them.

I understand the concept of secondary infections. How many diseases do you think are present on this fish? The prognosis doesn't look too good to me but I'd like to get some other opinions. He says the fish will still try to nibble on some nori, but he's also wondering if he should just euthanize it at this point.

20230313_214926.jpg
20230313_220045.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This isn't my foxface, just trying to help out an acquaintance. He's currently copper treating for cryptocaryon, but I also see pop-eye, and are those turbellarians (black ich)? I also see scrapes on the eyes, missing scales on the dark part of the body, a recessed upper-lip, and a healed lesion on the left side. It looks like his right pectoral fin is mostly missing, but the owner said it's just the photos. Apparently it's had trouble with the dorsal spines since he got it. Poor little guy.

The owner has it in a 130 gallon tank, does water changes every 2 weeks, and he's never had more than about 7 fish in the tank (the foxface is the largest). He quarantines all new fish for 1-1.5 months and treats them with copper and prazi pro. It sounds like he has pretty good practices, but I suppose sometimes pathogens can evade them.

I understand the concept of secondary infections. How many diseases do you think are present on this fish? The prognosis doesn't look too good to me but I'd like to get some other opinions. He says the fish will still try to nibble on some nori, but he's also wondering if he should just euthanize it at this point.

20230313_214926.jpg
20230313_220045.jpg
My gosh:
black ich
Bacterial
Flukes - neobendendia likely

as you can suspect, you will need to quarantine fish. The toss up for prioritizing treatment is the multiple symptoms. The likely type of flukes are best treatable with hyposalinity (bringing salt level to 1.009. The blach ich will also dislodge with hyposalinity. Once cleared up you can address bacterial with Seachem Kanaplex.
In the hyposalinity since its effective in FW, you can apply Ruby Rally Pro which addresses worms and flukes. QT for 30 days

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would have suggested a multi-prong approach with one drug - i.e. Ruby reef Rally. This contains an antibiotic - as well as a treatment for protozoans. I'm not sure the area on the side is infected (yet) - but it could very well soon be. Now - understanding the fish is already in copper - is it at the proper levels? 2.5 (depending on the type of copper), If so - I would add an antibiotic (broad spectrum) - such as kanamycin or neomycin to the copper. FWIW - the injury and the Popeye could be from the same source - and not all pop-eye is an 'an infection' - however - I guess I would use the copper and an anbitiotic - making sure the levels are correct.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - To me the fish has been injured by something - netting, transport - or another fish.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back