How many times a day do you feed your anthias?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12:00pm and 7:00pm.
Mysis, krill, brine frozen.
These guys about 3 years old.
IMG_1627.jpeg

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lyretail anthias. I was worried about feeding them too. I feed frozen brine shrimp once a day for a couple of days. I alternate with different foods though. I purchased Easy Reefs Masstick Marine Fish... for feeding too. I needed something to stay in the water column because that’s how they naturally feed. They absolutely love it. There’s another brand that they don’t really like. It is sold as food balls. I mix that one with the masstick powder. I do the powder with selcon, some garlic soak and phytoplankton from reef nutrition, not with tank water. Just mix it and stick it! . Please keep in mind that lyretails are the easiest to feed and keep, most other anthias require multiple feedings a day. Stock your tank with copapods too. They love tigger pods too because they stay in the water column, too bad they don’t reproduce in the tank….

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have lyretail anthias. I was worried about feeding them too. I feed frozen brine shrimp once a day for a couple of days. I alternate with different foods though. I purchased Easy Reefs Masstick Marine Fish... for feeding too. I needed something to stay in the water column because that’s how they naturally feed. They absolutely love it. There’s another brand that they don’t really like. It is sold as food balls. I mix that one with the masstick powder. I do the powder with selcon, some garlic soak and phytoplankton from reef nutrition, not with tank water. Just mix it and stick it! . Please keep in mind that lyretails are the easiest to feed and keep, most other anthias require multiple feedings a day. Stock your tank with copapods too. They love tigger pods too because they stay in the water column, too bad they don’t reproduce in the tank….

Definitely have added bottles and bottles of pods will continue to do that too! Although they love to stay in the filter media and reproduce in it. They must know they can’t get eaten if they stay in the media lol! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely have added bottles and bottles of pods will continue to do that too! Although they love to stay in the filter media and reproduce in it. They must know they can’t get eaten if they stay in the media lol! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Yeah, mine do that in the filter sock but they mainly stay in the display tank. I don’t think I have any in the sump.. if I do it’s very few.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 times frozen
4pm and than 8pm
I have had them for year or maybe little longer. The smaller the anthias the more feedings they will need.
yeah same here

Once upon a time it was purported that anthias would die/starve if not fed multiple times a day...not sure of the origins but I've never observed any support for that mandate other than new arrivals need fattening up for a week or so...
I've fed many 2x/day w/o issue

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back