HOW to set up your FIRST SALTWATER AQUARIUM!!! (Beginners Guide)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work. A couple things to consider adding or amending.

It is good practice to rinse sand before adding to tank to avoid days of cloudiness

Rock goes in before sand to avoid any instability and protect any sand sifters or burrowers.

I would expect a "How to set up and saltwater aquarium" video to at least mention cycling the tank. There is just so much more info needed than throwing a bag of sand and some rocks in a tank and filling it with water. There was no talk of mixing saltwater, optimal temp, I don't think a heater was mentioned at all, lighting, you showed a protein skimmer but pointed out you aren't even turning it on and don't need it for awhile. Perhaps this info comes in later videos, in which case maybe this should be called part 1 of a greater series.

OP
OP
colsons_critters

colsons_critters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work. A couple things to consider adding or amending.

It is good practice to rinse sand before adding to tank to avoid days of cloudiness

Rock goes in before sand to avoid any instability and protect any sand sifters or burrowers.

I would expect a "How to set up and saltwater aquarium" video to at least mention cycling the tank. There is just so much more info needed than throwing a bag of sand and some rocks in a tank and filling it with water. There was no talk of mixing saltwater, optimal temp, I don't think a heater was mentioned at all, lighting, you showed a protein skimmer but pointed out you aren't even turning it on and don't need it for awhile. Perhaps this info comes in later videos, in which case maybe this should be called part 1 of a greater series.
Thanks for the feedback! I actually did say this will be part 1 to the series. For this video I just wanted to setup the super basic equipment and tank. I will definitely go into the cycle process and add a heater and all the necessary equipment. As for the sand I never rinse my sand because it is already live and holds beneficial bacteria. I don’t care if it’s cloudy for a few days since it needs to cycle anyway. As for the rock it’s a nano tank so the rocks are only stacked one high and never really shift on me. For lighting I have not gotten into that yet because you don’t need a light for the cycle anyway. Thank you for the feedback and stay tuned for part 2!

OP
OP
colsons_critters

colsons_critters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn't make it past the adds. Why not paste the link here in the thread so we aren't shuffled off to youtube to watch more crappy comercials?
I posted the video on YouTube. No offense but the adds are only 15-30 seconds so I don’t see the problem of waiting. If you end up watching the video I’d love your feedback! Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back