OP
mega

mega

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i am getting silicates what could it be from water is ro/di with new filters and membranes...but like i said i didnt get this problem untill i switched to led lights.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i am getting silicates what could it be from water is ro/di with new filters and membranes...but like i said i didnt get this problem untill i switched to led lights.

Brighter lights or different wavelengths can drive algae growth more than dimmer lights, assuming there are adequate nutrients around.

I'd focus on N and P reduction/export since you can't be sure, sort of a microscope analysis, that what you have is diatoms.

Greg79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably Randy will not agree with me but I've seen more weird algae bloom in ULNS in people tanks than with normal No3(0.5-2ppm)and Po4(0.04-0.1ppm)levels I had same problem and couldn't figure this out my silica was 0 po4 0.00-0.02, no3 0.0-0.5 using hanna 96713 po4 photometer
My only thought was my algae consume nutrients faster then I can test it
After a while they've gone and they come back again- no clue!!
Maybe Randy has some answer for that
I'm not running gfo,carbon etc... Just good skimmer and chateo
I have about 26 fish in total 250gal sps system feeding them twice a day(fat and happy)
10% water change weekly, adding amino acids daily and lugols twice a week
2 part calcium and kalk in top off
Alk 8, ca 430,mg 1350,K400-410, ph 8.1-8.5., iodine 0.09

OP
OP
mega

mega

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all quick update:
Added red alike remover as the diatoms on the sand was getting bubbles trapped in it and getting slimey, along with a 10 gallon water change before adding the remover, slimmer off and did a day of no light over the tank...day later doesn't even look like I touched the tank all diatoms are back on the sand looking worse now any help?!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all quick update:
Added red alike remover as the diatoms on the sand was getting bubbles trapped in it and getting slimey, along with a 10 gallon water change before adding the remover, slimmer off and did a day of no light over the tank...day later doesn't even look like I touched the tank all diatoms are back on the sand looking worse now any help?!

Red Alike Remover? Do you mean Red Slime Remover?

OP
OP
mega

mega

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it now seems to have a snotty, viscous character, I'd look for treatments for dinos, but they are hard to get rid of.

what would you suggest, i did add a large cleanup crew for the tank as well to help fight the problem..

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm having the EXACT same issue. Also using new LED's. Been going on now for 6 months.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you suggest, i did add a large cleanup crew for the tank as well to help fight the problem..

If it is dino's, I have no magic answer.

High pH sometimes works, but can be hard to maintain.

Some report success with hydrogen peroxide, but I'd personally remove most delicate organisms before going that route.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What % are you running your whites at? Reason I ask is I lowered mine from 15% to 10% with no change in time and my diatoms have diminished greatly.
I've ran my lights at 10% white and 50% blue before and my corals did great. I only raised the whites to 15% in hopes of increasing the color in my one and only Birds Nest.

sealbeach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem and I did treat with Hydrogen Peroxide 35% 15 ml for a 350 gal system for 1 week each day and everything is great now and no adverse effect on any corals or fish...

httorihanzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lights did you switch from? I ask because I switched to a much more intense light and had a mad diatom problem until I just turned the lights off for 48 hours and then ramped them up starting at 1 hour a day. Now I am running 10 hours with little to no diatom buildup most days. I suspect that your LED's, though turned down to 65%, are much more intense than your last light. I dont think its the type LED, but I do think its the sudden change in lights.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once I switched to a full spectrum led light from the normal white and blue I have had diatoms all the time too.. I think its from the red green and uv spectrum.. I have an upflow scrubber running now hoping it will help.. if not will go back to having a refugium.. I do a complete lights out 2 days a week it helps out allot...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back