Huge Diatom Problem HELP!

UK_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its trapping bubbles surely its not diatoms? If anyone you know has a microscope look at a sample under that as they are really easy to recognise. Trapping bubbles suggests dinos to me, I've recently had them for a while, they do seem to have receded to me at the moment but who knows! I have heard many give up the hobby because of them :-( I raised my pH to about 8.4 (from about 7.9) with outside air going to the skimmer (ramping skimmer up to full air too). I also started adding a lot more food (like D+D coral paste), which has driven my nitrogen and phosphates up slightly (deliberate). Not sure if either of them helped but if I do think one of them has helped. I cleaned the tank out a few days ago of all the dino slime I could get at and its still spotless (only minor WC), other than a tougher coating on some rocks, which I think is not dinos (Looked at under microscope this is filamentous, but tougher than the cyano I am familiar with, so I'm not sure what it is but I am pretty sure its not the slimy dino stuff which covered it and which looked completely different under the microscope).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back