Hydrogen peroxide on Scoly base?

Slevin007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has tried “painting” some hydrogen peroxide onto the base of a scolymia. Mine has some algae on it that I would like to remove. Tweezers are good but I’d like to coat the base with a little hydrogen peroxide out of the tank. Would love people thoughts.

1709230434159.jpeg

1709230447221.jpeg
1709230434159.jpeg
1709230447221.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is 100% advisable I've done it hundreds of times in guiding my super old nano all these years. it's reef dentistry

pull the frag (tooth) out

avoid the gumline (polyp) and rasp with sharp metal tool/ice pick the algae off the surfaces before you treat. dentists rasp to dislodge, skip the pre rasp you leave holdfasts that grow back faster. the rasping isn't a large swatch cut its tiny picking, at the base of the algae tufts, made free of algae by steel not by chemical

then when all that detail is clean you put peroxide on it anyway you like, to burn leftover cells. rinse off after a bit, then add back to tank.

would you please post a pic succession of all that, I would like to link it to big work threads and it would be nice to have a new work option shown vs old ones.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lobo specimen that was approaching 12 years in one place, it was dividing etc and a top specimen

because I checkup each fragtooth in my nano occasionally, I'd been watching a small white sponge taking over the rim of the coral and I always scraped it off, it was at the gumline and required close detailing but it bought clean time running until regrowth required a new dental run

this last round inspection I noticed the sponge was now 80% coverage at the base even with my prior work, that specimen left my reef immediately unfortunately. doing reef dentistry saves your tank from takeover like maintaining a mouth keeps cavities away.

you're basically doing the job everyone hopes a new set of CUC's will do. but they're not worth the time, risk of disease and likelihood of success compared to reef dentistry, done in 15 mins.

OP
OP
Slevin007

Slevin007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is 100% advisable I've done it hundreds of times in guiding my super old nano all these years. it's reef dentistry

pull the frag (tooth) out

avoid the gumline (polyp) and rasp with sharp metal tool/ice pick the algae off the surfaces before you treat. dentists rasp to dislodge, skip the pre rasp you leave holdfasts that grow back faster. the rasping isn't a large swatch cut its tiny picking, at the base of the algae tufts, made free of algae by steel not by chemical

then when all that detail is clean you put peroxide on it anyway you like, to burn leftover cells. rinse off after a bit, then add back to tank.

would you please post a pic succession of all that, I would like to link it to big work threads and it would be nice to have a new work option shown vs old ones.
This is exactly what I was looking for I seriously appreciate the thoughtful and thorough walk though. I’ll give this a shot today and will post some pics after. Thank you again

One question, how long can a Scoly be out of water?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not even concern at 5-10 mns. I have a video of me draining my entire pico reef down to zero water for 33 mins, refilled and all was fine. 5-10 nbd, shorter the better.

imagine this power used on reef rock

let's say you got a tuft of bryopsis one day

you could spend 10 days identifying it with scope pics, then input some fluc and kill it, then get cyano or dinos for having killed it with fluc or you could lift out that rock one day, literally score off the bad part and put perx on the cleaned area and dispatch it, having never known it's ID or water parameters.

these steps combined with sandbed rinsing can beat any invasion in reefing. when you see a crudded up reef tank online, that's a reef mouth with no dentistry.

people expect their cuc to do the dentistry, they may. and if they don't get out the kitchen knives and command compliance from the small square body of water.

the first thing I think when I see invaded tank pics: why choose to own a wrecked tank when a choice exists to unwreck it

OP
OP
Slevin007

Slevin007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not even concern at 5-10 mns. I have a video of me draining my entire pico reef down to zero water for 33 mins, refilled and all was fine. 5-10 nbd, shorter the better.

imagine this power used on reef rock

let's say you got a tuft of bryopsis one day

you could spend 10 days identifying it with scope pics, then input some fluc and kill it, then get cyano or dinos for having killed it with fluc or you could lift out that rock one day, literally score off the bad part and put perx on the cleaned area and dispatch it, having never known it's ID or water parameters.

these steps combined with sandbed rinsing can beat any invasion in reefing. when you see a crudded up reef tank online, that's a reef mouth with no dentistry.
This is great. It makes sense when the ocean level lowers corals are exposed for some time and they are fine. I’ll get on this today. Thanks so much

OP
OP
Slevin007

Slevin007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few updates

Scraped and applied hydrogen peroxide outside of the tank, to the base of the Scoly.

Let it bake for about 5 minutes rinsed off and placed back into the tank.
Will update in a few days.

1709239793726.jpeg

1709239813493.jpeg

1709239837888.jpeg

1709239855747.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that coralline in the skeleton is neat that's algae rejecting surfaces

it may bleach a little but will come back in time, that's a deep coralline spot there, nice shot

OP
OP
Slevin007

Slevin007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that coralline in the skeleton is neat that's algae rejecting surfaces

it may bleach a little but will come back in time, that's a deep coralline spot there, nice shot
Thanks so much I’m hoping it goes all the way around that would be great

OP
OP
Slevin007

Slevin007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One quick note I should add. I only have the 3% hydrogen peroxide

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back