Peroxide Treatment Side Effects?

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hydrogen peroxide dipped some zoa and paly frags that were being smothered by hair algae today, and I also spot treated one of the encrusted colonies with about 3ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide in the tank with the flow off. Now, my bubble tip anemone looks very unhappy, my sea urchin isn't carrying around seashells or climbing the glass like normal, and my cleaner shrimp is a bit lethargic and uninterested in food. I did a 25% water change in case it was the tiny bit of peroxide, but I don't have any more saltwater mixed up already to do a larger one. Did the peroxide do something to the inverts? The zoas I directly dipped and squirted look fine, yet the anemone on the other side of the tank is not looking good. I figured this was the thread to ask because this happened while treating nuisance algae, but let me know if I need to post this elsewhere.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very very unlikely that the peroxide is annoying anything...

Infact im willing to bet on it. As i have employed peroxide dosing to help put my mind at ease for ich managment. And when I was doing it i was dosing 23ml at a time into my tank, zoas only flinched for five mins then back to normal

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very very unlikely that the peroxide is annoying anything...

Infact im willing to bet on it. As i have employed peroxide dosing to help put my mind at ease for ich managment. And when I was doing it i was dosing 23ml at a time into my tank, zoas only flinched for five mins then back to normal
Good. This is my first experience with peroxide so I'm a little on edge. In all honesty, the inverts could just be upset from me sticking my hands in the tank and breaking frag plugs off rocks.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good. This is my first experience with peroxide so I'm a little on edge. In all honesty, the inverts could just be upset from me sticking my hands in the tank and breaking frag plugs off rocks.
Yea might just be grumpy from the "big ape hand of G O D" comming down and moving stuff!

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3% peroxide in small amounts is nothing when mixed with more than a gallon of water. Always remember peroxide is H2O2, water with an extra oxygen atom. It will destroy organic material because its an oxidizer, some material is more sensitive than others.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back