Hydrogen peroxide

E048

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone used the 1ml dose for every 10 gallons? I have fish and shrimp and I don't want to lose them...

I'm at my whits end fighting diatoms and gha

I'm planning on dosing the tank its 150g reef

vladandlilith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it on several different occasions and I have never had a problem. I was even dosing at a higher concentration.

OP
OP
E048

E048

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three cleaners and some peppermints so this will kill them?

I've been getting mixed answers from people saying it won't harm inverts but will burn fish and vice versa

spcpettit22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three cleaners and some peppermints so this will kill them?

I've been getting mixed answers from people saying it won't harm inverts but will burn fish and vice versa
One the 3rd/4th day of me dosing my cleaner shrimp died. There was no other cause besides the peroxide. Honestly me dosing peroxide didn't really even work, it only worked when I took the rock out and drenched the rocks in it and let them sit out for 5 to 10 mins.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that sums up the thread, and the 200+ plus pages of tanks fixed literally with hundreds of before and after color pics, 100 % :)

when I search for other methods that have that many after pics in just three links, I run dry. dumping peroxide in the tank to counteract growths from years of detritus storage or months of allowed seating will not work, so we focus on tank cleaning for the first post. some tanks have regrowth that makes the initial run not worth it, we show using merely a test rock in the thread before full tank work

Last edited:
OP
OP
E048

E048

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So taking rocks out and treating them seems to be the best course should I rinse the rocks after or what

spcpettit22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I didn't have to rinse them. Just take them out lay them out and squirt peroxide all over the rocks, let sit for 5-10 mins and return to tank. You'll see several bubbles form on the rocks but don't be alarmed that's just the peroxide reacting to the water. For the rocks I'd be sure to remove as much gha because spraying. Also I'd run gfo on ur system to give urself a more successful rate of it not returning.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id like to see initial pics to factor in the hard work part, the detritus removal. 20% of tanks post cleanliness we don't have to do such moves, 80% need the moves before the peroxide

spcpettit22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id like to see initial pics to factor in the hard work part, the detritus removal. 20% of tanks post cleanliness we don't have to do such moves, 80% need the moves before the peroxide
What do u mean? I mean I agree that dosing peroxide isn't going to help the peroxide if that's what you saying, but don't quite understand you for the rest.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean specifically that 80% are using peroxide where a tank cleaning should be instead, need to see full tank shot to see if its got stores of waste. w be checking sandbed cross sections, dusting on the rocks, places where algae might have retained detritus etc. the exact same workthrough we are doing in the thread...just starts with a full tank shot. some tanks with cyano issues wouldn't even use peroxide at all, just checking.

spcpettit22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean specifically that 80% are using peroxide where a tank cleaning should be instead, need to see full tank shot to see if its got stores of waste. w be checking sandbed cross sections, dusting on the rocks, places where algae might have retained detritus etc. the exact same workthrough we are doing in the thread...just starts with a full tank shot. some tanks with cyano issues wouldn't even use peroxide at all, just checking.
Oh okay gottca

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take my rocks out, spray them with peroxide, I try to keep it off any corals but it still gets on some. After 5 or so mins I place the rock in a tub of tank water and give it a scrub to get most of the algae off, and then it's back in the tank. I have had good luck with this, and even though some corals were not to happy, they all were fine as were my RBTA.

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take my rocks out, spray them with peroxide, I try to keep it off any corals but it still gets on some. After 5 or so mins I place the rock in a tub of tank water and give it a scrub to get most of the algae off, and then it's back in the tank. I have had good luck with this, and even though some corals were not to happy, they all were fine as were my RBTA.
Your rbta was on the rock you sprayed peroxide? I have some red hair algae that I cant win to remove it. I was thinking on squirt some peroxide on it, but Im afraid to take the rbta out of the water.

Wakerider52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not dose with shrimp. It will kill them. I had Dino's a few months back, I dosed, got up to 1ml/gallon and got rid of the Dino's, but shrimp died. I have clowns, tangs, a clam and a variety of euphilias and every thing made it but my shrimp:(

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was pretty careful spraying around the nems, and they looked like heck out of the water, but the next day they were about 75% happy, and the 2nd day they were fully inflated. It's been 2 weeks and I have seen no negative effects.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back