Hypes SPS Dropoff Peninsula

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well howdy to everyone. Im new around these parts but not to reefkeeping. Some call it a hobby but its definitely an obsession. Ive been reefing almost non stop for the last 10 years and have been able to try alot of different builds and reefkeeping methods. I really enjoy the keeping smaller tanks because of the ability to get so close and intimate. Some of the most fun for me is the designing and aquscaping phase. In any case I decided to do one last build but my goal is to keep it running for as long as possible.

While deciding on a tank I wanted try a build ive always thought was cool but never got a chance to try. A drop off was something ive always been interested in particularly because I love aquascaping and thought it would be interesting to aquascape a tank with those features.Ive also never had a peninsula tank so this seemed like the way to go.

The decision to be made was whether to go with IM abyss series or Artfully Acrylic Reefcrest series. This was made easier when I realized Artfully Acrylic had a 35 gallon model and the IM dropoff has bowing issues. I am extremely happy I went with them. They truly take care of their customers and make TOP NOTCH aquariums.I had an awesome experience...First where they allowed me to use a promo that had already expired a few days prior. But more importantly I had a deadline I wanted to meet and these guys expedited my order to meet that deadline as their build time is normally 6 weeks. The tank arrived on time but was damaged by the knuckleheads over at Fedex. These guys didn't wait the weeks or months it would take to file a claim but sent me another tank a week later. I have nothing but good things to say about them and the pictures speak for themselves. They build each aquarium by hand,use high quality materials and pay close attention to detail and most importantly know how to treat their customers. Needless to say they've gained a lifelong customer.

I'm still stockpiling everything im going to need for this build and its taking longer than I hoped. I originally was going to go with the Radion XR15w Gen4 but I changed my mind with the stocking. Since the focus will be SPS my decision is to go with T5/LED Hybrid. Ive had the most success keeping sps with this comobo. For live rock im going with Real reef rock..Ive actually been able to hand pick the pieces from my LFS.Im also going to use live water from my buddys 7 year old reef. (plenty of mature bacterial colonies)

Some pics

31975801186_f34df814b4_z.jpg

31975808116_a6966c8e71_z.jpg

31913708071_05d244d1c3.jpg

31913715501_dcef70fdbc.jpg
31913720141_7d7dcd2376.jpg

31913726381_dc991db4f5.jpg

31882738742_c81375091f.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always been fascinated by drop off tanks :) my only concern is flow with an sps tank...youre definitely going to need more turbulent flow on the drop off area.

I dont want to insult your intelligence....but I have some questions :)
Im not sure what you mean by "live water"...Ive never heard of such a thing. Bacterial colonies reside on surfaces/things...so dropping a pretty penny on live rock would be more beneficial than adding your friends water-right?
IMO adding water from someone elses tank is just bringing their problems to your tank. nitrates/phosphates-not saying your friend has problems lol.
If you start with a certain level of parameters, youll be able to keep it consistent the entire time rather than starting with friends water then raising or lowering with whatever you will use going forward.
Whats your filtration going to be?
Disclaimer-Ive never been able to keep acros or the harder sps for longer than a few months.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exciting and thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see more!

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed I plan to add two additional powerheads to create more diverse flow patterns for the coral. No worries ask away :)

While bacterial colonies do reside on surfaces they are also found in open water in addition to many other helpful microbes which are plentiful in mature systems. Live rock is typically my go to for new systems but given the design of this tank Im going to be playing around with the scape and I wouldnt want to keep any "live rock" exposed for long periods especially If i have to bond some pieces together. Additionally I plan to add some some sand from my buddys system to help seed my sandbed.

Your concerns are certainly valid about adding anything from another reefers system but if you seen my buddys tank you would understand my lack of concern. He has a super mature/healthy system (No detectable nitrates/phosphates) spawning fish/coral not to mention its been running for 7 years without any major issues.

I have a skimmer and I also plan to add a macroalgae reactor. Just haven't decided whether im going to go DIY or a ready made

The last mostly sps tank I had did pretty well until I lost it during sandy

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to you see posting Rehype. :) I have followed prior builds.

Love this tank type, would be something I would like to have.

Following!!!!!!

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the local shops in town has a nice one set up like this by the register. I will try and snap a pic next time I am there.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed I plan to add two additional powerheads to create more diverse flow patterns for the coral. No worries ask away :)

While bacterial colonies do reside on surfaces they are also found in open water in addition to many other helpful microbes which are plentiful in mature systems. Live rock is typically my go to for new systems but given the design of this tank Im going to be playing around with the scape and I wouldnt want to keep any "live rock" exposed for long periods especially If i have to bond some pieces together. Additionally I plan to add some some sand from my buddys system to help seed my sandbed.

Your concerns are certainly valid about adding anything from another reefers system but if you seen my buddys tank you would understand my lack of concern. He has a super mature/healthy system (No detectable nitrates/phosphates) spawning fish/coral not to mention its been running for 7 years without any major issues.

I have a skimmer and I also plan to add a macroalgae reactor. Just haven't decided whether im going to go DIY or a ready made

The last mostly sps tank I had did pretty well until I lost it during sandy
That's awesome, debunked! Lol thanks for sharing the info, I had no idea about water column critters :D
You have one nice buddy lol I don't know any other (qualified) reefers personally. Seems like they either let it go or just aren't interested. I'm sorry you lost your last reef. Keep us all updated, I'm sure it will look stunning when finished

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rehype glad to see you doing a build over here! Ive loved some of your previous builds and know this one will be nothing short of amazing, can't wait to see this progress!

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to you see posting Rehype. :) I have followed prior builds.

Love this tank type, would be something I would like to have.

Following!!!!!!

Thanks alot Tahoe for the warm welcome. I appreciate you following along.

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome, debunked! Lol thanks for sharing the info, I had no idea about water column critters :D
You have one nice buddy lol I don't know any other (qualified) reefers personally. Seems like they either let it go or just aren't interested. I'm sorry you lost your last reef. Keep us all updated, I'm sure it will look stunning when finished

No problem thats what these forums are all about..sharing knowledge and experiences :D Yea hes a heck of a friend. Its always nice to share your love of the hobby with someone whos just as passionate. (Not many people who you can have a 20 minute conversation with about bristleworms lol) Thanks I hope I can make this reef look the way I envision it in my head.

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rehype glad to see you doing a build over here! Ive loved some of your previous builds and know this one will be nothing short of amazing, can't wait to see this progress!

Thanks alot cment I appreciate you checking in!

OzarksReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing this build @Rehype - lots of opportunity for creative aquascaping. What are the dimensions on the tank? Lighting could be tricky but I think you're on to something with a longer fixture like a T5 hybrid to provide good coverage. Intensity may be high in the shallow end but you can manage by placing higher light SPS there. Looking forward to seeing things develop!

Marc.The.Shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy, post a couple throwback pics of the zero edge (RIP) to show these guys the treat they're gonna be in for with one of your builds!! That was my fav!

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing this build @Rehype - lots of opportunity for creative aquascaping. What are the dimensions on the tank? Lighting could be tricky but I think you're on to something with a longer fixture like a T5 hybrid to provide good coverage. Intensity may be high in the shallow end but you can manage by placing higher light SPS there. Looking forward to seeing things develop!

Thanks alot ozark really appreciate you following along. The dimensions are 30x18x20. This fixture puts out a ton of light...maybe overkill for my size tank but the good thing is the everything is dimmable. The sps will be on the top tier while zoos ,lps and possibly some non photosyntetic coral will go on the bottom.

Some pics of the fixture.

32323499172_2971f857e1_z.jpg

31663419043_4f6f15a860_z.jpg

32444543516_7e7eb8ea65_z.jpg

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rehype - As others said, am too a big fan of your previous builds and have silently followed it in the other forum. The 22 gallon was nothing sort of a miracle :D
Glad to have you start a new build and hopefully will learn a ton as I did from your previous builds ..
Wonder what's your plan for filteration ? Is it a AIO and do you plan on using a skimmer like Tunze ?

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rehype - As others said, am too a big fan of your previous builds and have silently followed it in the other forum. The 22 gallon was nothing sort of a miracle :D
Glad to have you start a new build and hopefully will learn a ton as I did from your previous builds ..
Wonder what's your plan for filteration ? Is it a AIO and do you plan on using a skimmer like Tunze ?

Regards,
Abhishek

Thanks alot abhishek appreciate you following along and for the positive feedback.
Its an AIO and I just got this cadlight lights skimmer PLS-50 elite. I also plan to add a macroalgae reactor once I start stocking.
31663425783_735363cb45_n.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks alot rev I appreciate you checking in. Its a wonderful forum you have here wish I came over sooner.

Glad to have you now!!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 162 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back