Hypes SPS Dropoff Peninsula

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks alot ozark really appreciate you following along. The dimensions are 30x18x20. This fixture puts out a ton of light...maybe overkill for my size tank but the good thing is the everything is dimmable. The sps will be on the top tier while zoos ,lps and possibly some non photosyntetic coral will go on the bottom.

Some pics of the fixture.

32323499172_2971f857e1_z.jpg

31663419043_4f6f15a860_z.jpg

32444543516_7e7eb8ea65_z.jpg

Beautiful light!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

OzarksReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Powermodule should do the trick! I've always been impressed with the color and growth people get with the ATI fixtures. They also help resolve the shadow problem often seen under LED only tanks. Looking forward to updates as you continue with the build!

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Powermodule should do the trick! I've always been impressed with the color and growth people get with the ATI fixtures. They also help resolve the shadow problem often seen under LED only tanks. Looking forward to updates as you continue with the build!

I got the best results with SPS using an ATI with reefbrites years ago. It seems to be the combo of choice nowadays. ATI did a great job of integrating the LED's to provide the pop and little a little bit of shimmer while keeping the unit appealing to the eyes and using just one cord to power it all.

Thanks ill be keeping a close eye on your build as well!

tiomm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So good to see you back, Rehype! I've followed your tanks since I first saw your "Archipelago" on another forum five years ago. Very much looking forward to this build as I know what you are capable of. Not to mention your skills in photography.

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So good to see you back, Rehype! I've followed your tanks since I first saw your "Archipelago" on another forum five years ago. Very much looking forward to this build as I know what you are capable of. Not to mention your skills in photography.

Thanks alot Tiomm!Glad to see your still around. I really appreciate the kind feedback. Do you have a new tank build?

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some other goodies including the rest of my bulbs. The tank is currently filled with water and I just finished up the hardscape...in the process of adding sand.

Decided to try out the Rossmont mover pumps. Went with Two M900 (270-900gph). Im really interested in trying out their new waver wireless controller. Also couldnt resist this deal to pick up a nano calcium reactor and regulator even though it will be quite some time before I will actually need it.

31778462793_66d9e1739a.jpg
31778457893_c8d23bd3a7.jpg

tiomm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks alot Tiomm!Glad to see your still around. I really appreciate the kind feedback. Do you have a new tank build?

Thank you. I started a new build a few months ago. But I don't spend much time on forums any more. I just came here to see your tank.

Looking forward to see your scape!

clowner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always been fascinated by drop off tanks :) my only concern is flow with an sps tank...youre definitely going to need more turbulent flow on the drop off area.

I dont want to insult your intelligence....but I have some questions :)
Im not sure what you mean by "live water"...Ive never heard of such a thing. Bacterial colonies reside on surfaces/things...so dropping a pretty penny on live rock would be more beneficial than adding your friends water-right?
IMO adding water from someone elses tank is just bringing their problems to your tank. nitrates/phosphates-not saying your friend has problems lol.
If you start with a certain level of parameters, youll be able to keep it consistent the entire time rather than starting with friends water then raising or lowering with whatever you will use going forward.
Whats your filtration going to be?
Disclaimer-Ive never been able to keep acros or the harder sps for longer than a few months.
Well to the "live water" question ill drop my two pennies
Ive been using nutri seawater since my LFS has had it ...i used it when starting my biocube it basacally 4.4 gallon jugs of water collected from the ocean so thoretacally it is perfect ...i think they also add minerals to it to benefit to your tank when combined with live sand and live rock basacally allows you to skip the initial cycling of the tank
i ran test and found no spike to amonia even though i was still phantom feeding but i noticed my nitrates rising from the begining
lg-29818-39409-salt-mix.jpg

However i also agree that flow might be a bit of an issue unless you use the top part as your sps graden and save the deeper bit for brains and LPS (JUST LIKE NATURE!)

Alexd8438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the build I am doing now, I was talking to artfully acrylic but the guy that is making my tank sump and stand is doing it for half the price, keep in mind this is a 100 gallon drop off

IMG_0666.PNG

IMG_0667.PNG

IMG_0668.PNG

IMG_0669.PNG

IMG_0672.PNG

IMG_0673.PNG

IMG_0674.PNG

IMG_0675.PNG

IMG_0676.PNG

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I started a new build a few months ago. But I don't spend much time on forums any more. I just came here to see your tank.

Looking forward to see your scape!

Well I hope its progressing well and I sincerely appreciate you checking in on the build.

Well to the "live water" question ill drop my two pennies
Ive been using nutri seawater since my LFS has had it ...i used it when starting my biocube it basacally 4.4 gallon jugs of water collected from the ocean so thoretacally it is perfect ...i think they also add minerals to it to benefit to your tank when combined with live sand and live rock basacally allows you to skip the initial cycling of the tank
i ran test and found no spike to amonia even though i was still phantom feeding but i noticed my nitrates rising from the begining
lg-29818-39409-salt-mix.jpg

However i also agree that flow might be a bit of an issue unless you use the top part as your sps graden and save the deeper bit for brains and LPS (JUST LIKE NATURE!)

Thanks for the feedback...I actually added a case of that as well. (The more diversity the better imo)
Yes the plan is for sps on the top and LPS,softies,and some nps on the mid/bottom

Some pics of the scape..

32718281816_059965bc9a_z.jpg
32718282326_15fbacd14d_z.jpg

32759557955_2972be90e5_z.jpg
32718282146_04fa4c598d_z.jpg

clowner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its amazing definitely loving the overhang. Im exited to see how this tank will look 6 months down the road
Well I hope its progressing well and I sincerely appreciate you checking in on the build.

Thanks for the feedback...I actually added a case of that as well. (The more diversity the better imo)
Yes the plan is for sps on the top and LPS,softies,and some nps on the mid/bottom

Some pics of the scape..

32718281816_059965bc9a_z.jpg
32718282326_15fbacd14d_z.jpg

32759557955_2972be90e5_z.jpg
32718282146_04fa4c598d_z.jpg

OP
OP
Rehype

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the build I am doing now, I was talking to artfully acrylic but the guy that is making my tank sump and stand is doing it for half the price, keep in mind this is a 100 gallon drop off

That is going to be wicked...Do you have a build thread I could follow?

its amazing definitely loving the overhang. Im exited to see how this tank will look 6 months down the road

Thanks alot clowner....me too. I'm really looking forward to adding to my first frags.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back