Hyposalinity for Ich in Display

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got around to reading half this thread and wish i had time to read more before going hypo, Anyways I am closer to 1.008 and just realized Jay said it can be iffy on certain fish, since I rather be close to 1.008 then closure to 1.010 i will take the chance as my fish are doing fine. Another thing i was sad to learn is that the 30 day clock starts technically when spots are gone. Well i have 2 fish with a good amount of spots and all others fish are clean. The orange shoulder and 1 yellow does scratch and flash. So i will start the 30 day clock once my 2 fish are free of spots or when there is no spots/scratching/flashing - fingers crossed

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got around to reading half this thread and wish i had time to read more before going hypo, Anyways I am closer to 1.008 and just realized Jay said it can be iffy on certain fish, since I rather be close to 1.008 then closure to 1.010 i will take the chance as my fish are doing fine. Another thing i was sad to learn is that the 30 day clock starts technically when spots are gone. Well i have 2 fish with a good amount of spots and all others fish are clean. The orange shoulder and 1 yellow does scratch and flash. So i will start the 30 day clock once my 2 fish are free of spots or when there is no spots/scratching/flashing - fingers crossed
The 30 days sounds like a long time but for me it seamed to be over quick. I actually went 35 days just to be sure.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 30 days sounds like a long time but for me it seamed to be over quick. I actually went 35 days just to be sure.
I am 9 days in and still have a few new spots on achilles and hippo

what did you experience on my timeline and how bad was the ich before you got the hypo down to the right salinity? I think my tank was really badly infected since most of the fish where scratching and swimming frantically. There is no more scratching and its obvious that its working but i can't with certainty say its 100% working until fish are spot free and remain spot free.

Based on Jay comment on Max thread, 30 day clock starts when spots are no longer visible. I have accepted that I will have to go minimum 6 weeks.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reduced the salinity to 1.009 within a day.
After 4 days, spots mostly gone.
At 7 days, I seen no spots.
I then went another 14 days.
Then increased salinity slowly upwards back to normal over the last week.
So, for me, 28 days.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reduced the salinity to 1.009 within a day.
After 4 days, spots mostly gone.
At 7 days, I seen no spots.
I then went another 14 days.
Then increased salinity slowly upwards back to normal over the last week.
So, for me, 28 days.
That's good. I am not sure it's working yet since my achilles still has spots as does the hippo. Def new spots this week when I turned of uv. So I turned it back on

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I slow UV exposure sounds like a good idea.
If your confident that your salinity is 1.009, stay the course.
Good luck.
Yeah I am sure I am at the right level. Going to stay the course. Spots still on achilles but dropping off. He is not flashing or scratching so I believe new infection has slowed down

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 14 of hypo

Achilles has about 5 spots. I think there was well over 100 at its peak.

Observations
I am pretty sure using filter socks helped catch free floaters. Once I got lazy about changing them spots came back faster
20220410_151405.jpg

20220410_151415.jpg

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo tang showing ich again, have not added anything to my tank.

edit: I did add a yellow tang, biota, pre-quarantined from a well known online vendor. But only hippo is showing ich.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going the management route now, bought a UV sterilizer. If this doesn’t solve my issue, I’m done with hobby for a while unfortunately. It arrives next Monday, no signs of ich as of now.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I’m not sure if what I saw was ich anymore, but it was 2 dots, not exactly white but more opaque and they were side by side on the hippo tangs forehead left side. They went away quickly and I have not seen ich on anyone else since.
I’m still implementing a UV sterilizer as a precaution, can’t hurt. On 4/22 my frags will have completed 76 days in quarantine.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did all this turn out?
I did Hypo 2 years ago for 3 months and all my fish survived (including achilles, powder). however, the Hippo tang still had ich 1 months later. The achilles and powder never scratched again or showed signs of ich. I believe it will work on almost every fish beside the hippo tang, which i read somewhere are carries of ich. To be honest I think fish just need a stress free environment and good nutrition to fight of these parasites in captivity. I did add a decent UV sterilizer plumbed in my main display which for sure zaps those free floating parasites and 100% helps keep numbers from overwhelming the fish.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though it didnt eradicate the Ich completely I am glad it did it, My achilles had 100 spots and probably would not be around had I not acted fast. Over the course of the months I was running hypo the spots went away and it just got fatter and healthier and even though ich is still in my system, the fish are super big and chunky you would never know there is ich.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back