I am about to throw in a towel

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to offend you. It's frustrating to be completely ignored when my comments were valid. Growing Acropora spp. in water that is extremely low in mag isn't meeting those corals habitat needs.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this guy either has unusually low alk or a bacterial infection. clip what you can now and spread around the tank.

i dont think any of his parameters will stn or rtn coral. its something we cannot test.

in gonna assume aefw was ruled out

a 50% wc wouldnt hurt.

my .02

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, its nitrate dosing. Had similer thing happning to me when I dosed.

If i were you i would do a big WC and stop the dosing.

did you clip a frag and replicate it?

i will disagree with this as boogyman aquascience.

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to offend you. It's frustrating to be completely ignored when my comments were valid. Growing Acropora spp. in water that is extremely low in mag isn't meeting those corals habitat needs.
Gentlemen sorry i did not reply sooner, I sometimes get busy. I truly appreciate everyone's input. I run my magnesium very low , around 1200 for as long as i can remember, this and other corals have been grown in that magnesium level. The reason I do that is when i try to adjust my alkalinity , i sometimes tend to overdose my alk (go above 8.5) . this way it does not go too high . The problem was with the lights and nitrates. I turned down the lights and moved the coral. I did not save that particular piece, but few others seem ok for now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you clip a frag and replicate it?

i will disagree with this as boogyman aquascience.

Actually I think i confused a few people , my tank suffers from constantly low nitrates, two days ago , (when i made this post) was my first time actually dosing potassium nitrates. My acropora polyp extension was insane that night. So i believe my tank can benefit from some nitrate dosing .

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gentlemen sorry i did not reply sooner, I sometimes get busy. I truly appreciate everyone's input. I run my magnesium very low , around 1200 for as long as i can remember, this and other corals have been grown in that magnesium level. The reason I do that is when i try to adjust my alkalinity , i sometimes tend to overdose my alk (go above 8.5) . this way it does not go too high . The problem was with the lights and nitrates. I turned down the lights and moved the coral. I did not save that particular piece, but few others seem ok for now.

Thanks for the explaination. I've been dosing KNO3 for six months and have seen excellent results; however, recently a few of my acros started showing less PE, so I tested and found that potassium was high. I ordered food grade sodium nitrate on Amazon and have been dosing for the past week. Acros love it even more than the potassium nitrate (until the potassium gets too high).

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explaination. I've been dosing KNO3 for six months and have seen excellent results; however, recently a few of my acros started showing less PE, so I tested and found that potassium was high. I ordered food grade sodium nitrate on Amazon and have been dosing for the past week. Acros love it even more than the potassium nitrate (until the potassium gets too high).
Sodium nitrate? Ive never heard of anyone using it , are the mixing instructions the same ? I might just pick some up instead of getting K test kit.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with diesel. Running only white light for a month or more and then adding blue back to the tank (especially in any decent amount of par) could give some acros a good shock. Some might be fine and usually the more sensitive ones go first. I would not say nutrients are to low, people strive for thoes numbers. But nitrate dosing a few ti.es has helped people without extremely low nutrients ts as well. Magnesium can be ran that low and is by a lot of people. It's only a problem when it's low enough to mess with the ballance of calcium and alkalinity in a tank.

Let us know how the tank responds to the change OP.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium nitrate? Ive never heard of anyone using it , are the mixing instructions the same ? I might just pick some up instead of getting K test kit.
Adam at Battlecorals uses it. I mixed two teaspoons in 4 cups freshwater, then tested it on a gallon of new saltwater (ie no nitrates). I've been dosing my 38 g at 4 ml a day to maintain NO3 at 2.5 ppm. I should probably raise it a little higher, but I'm chicken. The tank has eight fraggable sized colonies and lots of others of smaller stuff, plus a hammer, an elegance, a large plate, and two large Lord acans (Micromussa), so it has a relatively high nutrient demand.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people change lights out all the time.
that is not what caused his PM from stn/rtn.

bleached? sure.
browned? sure.

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, so far I've reduced my lights by about 10% , dosed nitrates ( increased about 1ppm worth) , (continued dosing elo's aminos) , things seem to be OK , I saw slight darkening in my corals, nothing too serious, polyp extension is the same. My skimmate production doubled since I started dosing. I will begin increasing my lights by about 3% every 4 days .

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, so far I've reduced my lights by about 10% , dosed nitrates ( increased about 1ppm worth) , (continued dosing elo's aminos) , things seem to be OK , I saw slight darkening in my corals, nothing too serious, polyp extension is the same. My skimmate production doubled since I started dosing. I will begin increasing my lights by about 3% every 4 days .

make a frag of that PM. i think you may have something else.

the rest... is expected

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make a frag of that PM. i think you may have something else.

the rest... is expected
I have a few pieces, i will be monitoring the system for the next few days, if i see anymore casualties, I'm going to start looking into other causes, hopefully this is not bacterial .

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few pieces, i will be monitoring the system for the next few days, if i see anymore casualties, I'm going to start looking into other causes, hopefully this is not bacterial .

im with you man. i have the original eddie's PM. if i lost that i would die. twice

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[...]I run my magnesium very low
[...]The reason I do that is when i try to adjust my alkalinity , i sometimes tend to overdose my alk (go above 8.5) . this way it does not go too high .

I'm not sure I understand any of this....you seem to be creating conditions ripe for abiotic precipitation just because you "tend to overdose". (Precipitation is what's keeping it from going too high....Mg has a preventative effect on this.

Why would you want to overdose (it's not necessary) and why would you make such a concession on Mg toward that effort to overdose?

You instead need to change the way you are dosing so you put the correct amount in the tank.

The problem was with the lights and nitrates. I turned down the lights and moved the coral. I did not save that particular piece, but few others seem ok for now.

You're most likely correct - I've had similar experience. The PDF's attached will give you a better idea of what's going on.

My acropora polyp extension was insane that night. So i believe my tank can benefit from some nitrate dosing .

I wouldn't go so far as to disagree with the action plan, I just wished there was some way we knew that "insane polyp extension" was a good thing. ;) If corals could talk!

Attachments

• Long-term effects of nutrient and CO2 enrichment on coral.pdf
    217.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Imbalanced coral growth ... caused by nutrient enrichment.pdf
    361.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Is the coral-algae symbiosis really‘mutually beneficial’ for the partners?.pdf
    749.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Fast Growth May Impair Regeneration Capacity.pdf
    543.8 KB · Views: 278

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people change lights out all the time.
that is not what caused his PM from stn/rtn.

bleached? sure.
browned? sure.

All stresses are cumulative...no single one did it.

Lighting changes like he did (due to no fault of his own) are definitely stressful....and it's made even more stressful in a low-nutrient environment. That only account for what we know about the tank. o_O

It's very possible for a lighting change to cause mortality....check that "Long term effects..." article... (I think i was that one...too many articles!!!)

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All stresses are cumulative...no single one did it.

Lighting changes like he did (due to no fault of his own) are definitely stressful....and it's made even more stressful in a low-nutrient environment. That only account for what we know about the tank. o_O

It's very possible for a lighting change to cause mortality....check that "Long term effects..." article... (I think i was that one...too many articles!!!)

Yep LEDs will fry acros so fast.... especially 90 degree optics. I would be willing to bet that is the main cause of this. Yes acros that are burned by LED can easily RTN. RTN is due to infection of either bacteria or protozoa species. It usually doesnt occur randomly but rather there is a precipitating factor that causes damage to the coral allowing these bugs to gain a strong hold and then consume the coral in a matter of hours. Anything that "stresses" the acro can cause this such as swing in alkalinity, temp, salinity, or lighting. Magnesium will generally not cause it because SPS are stable with change in magnesium levels as well as wide ranges even on the low 1000 they will just grow slower. Low nitrates most likely will not cause RTN unless your tank has never been fed for months and has massive skimming and no livestock such as a clean up crew.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back