I need a bigger tank but...

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being relegated to sleeping in my fish room office instead of the master bedroom would be rough. I've thought about it but it's just a battle I can't win at home unfortunately.

My torches are wiping corals out now.

20240403_135606.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being relegated to sleeping in my fish room office instead of the master bedroom would be rough. I've thought about it but it's just a battle I can't win at home unfortunately.

My torches are wiping corals out now.

20240403_135606.jpg
Sleeping with your fish isn't all that bad. Ambient white noise. You and your fish will get to know each other better. You will be more intune with your tank. Bonus you will have a bigger tank.

I fail to see a downside here

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sleeping with your fish isn't all that bad. Ambient white noise. You and your fish will get to know each other better. You will be more intune with your tank. Bonus you will have a bigger tank.

Interesting view but I would be kind of like a human hermit crab in the house.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this is a problem. Managing coral sprawl and warfare is a major pain for me. I have a frag tank that I’ve yet to setup as I think that the same thing will happen with it sooner or later so why bother. There’s not enough local demand to sell the stuff so literally I frag and toss in the garbage.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this is a problem. Managing coral sprawl and warfare is a major pain for me. I have a frag tank that I’ve yet to setup as I think that the same thing will happen with it sooner or later so why bother. There’s not enough local demand to sell the stuff so literally I frag and toss in the garbage.
What about store credit at a lfs

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about store credit at a lfs
Yeah no real local places in the area. There is a place where I get my fish from that are starting to get into corals so I might be able to do something there. Kills me just to throw perfectly good corals away.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no real local places in the area. There is a place where I get my fish from that are starting to get into corals so I might be able to do something there. Kills me just to throw perfectly good corals away.
The thing I don't like about fragging is first I have cheap limited tools to use and second is removing a large piece, cutting some off and then trying to securely glue it back in its spit. Obviously this doesn't apply to encrusting corals. Using bone cutters under water typically results in broken pieces that I didn't intend to cut also

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing I don't like about fragging is first I have cheap limited tools to use and second is removing a large piece, cutting some off and then trying to securely glue it back in its spit. Obviously this doesn't apply to encrusting corals. Using bone cutters under water typically results in broken pieces that I didn't intend to cut also
Yep, not easy. Double edged sword. We want our corals to thrive and grow, but when they do, argghh!

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lavey29
I need a bigger tank, but refuse to spend 10k+ on a new glass box when I still regularly scratch my current tank, 8-9 years in. SMH. Sorry, I thought you were going somewhere different with this...

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Increased humidity...
Higher risk of respirtory illness...

Its not advised to sleep in the room with your reef tank.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lavey29
I need a bigger tank, but refuse to spend 10k+ on a new glass box when I still regularly scratch my current tank, 8-9 years in. SMH. Sorry, I thought you were going somewhere different with this...
I'd love to have a biggee with all those cool fish that require that size. Scratches give character. I actually like the weathered look.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry… bad joke. I’ve gotten my husband to be okay with the idea of a 10-12 foot tank as long as all the other tanks get combined into that one. We are still talking about it. We’ll see. For now I have several.
Apparently you picked an appropriate screen name.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 106 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back