I need the low-down on Montipora!!!

TheNowMovement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I can tell... these coral are the ones that look like plates growing out of the rocks... is this correct?

If so, I definitely want a couple really loud looking monti's to put in my tank... problem is, i have no idea where to place them for good growth patterns. I also see square frags of the coral often that measure less than an inch... its really hard to understand how theyll grow and what to expect... Anyone who knows anything, please chime in... I need to know what to do with this. i am soo confused with what these will look like in the future! Im all about the long run so, Im down for being patient. I just wanna know what to expect.

HellevatorMacanik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few different types of Montis. However, I think that all of them are one of the hardiest, easiest and fastest growing SPS. First there is a plating monti which you will see grow out "into mid air", or "cup" up towards the light. Then there is M.digitata which will encrust and then branch up. Lastly, a lot of the nice montis you see with multiple different colors and polyps are the encrusting kind. They just spread out and grow on any surface that is around them. I also call these "designer" montis as they are the more colorful but also more expensive ones. I.E- sunset, jedi mind tricks, mystic montis.....
As far as husbandry, I've never really seen one die and I've seen them grow under anything, power compact lights included. That being said, they are a SPS so in general the more light the better. Low or high flow, once again, higher flow grows faster. Place them midway in the tank or higher.
Hope this helps a bit.

-Zac

OP
OP
T

TheNowMovement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see i like the ones that tend to "cup" up towards the light... how do you know that this is the kind that you are getting?

Also, when i mentioned placement, i was more referring to specifically on a rock... for example, on the edge of a rock, in the middle of the body of the rock... I want it to look as real as possible and dont want it to look like i just threw them in there and let them grow. Where would you say looks the most realistic when it comes to growing these out?

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where you want to put it is up to you, it's gonna look just as real wherever you put it. I love montis one of my fav. I have 2 plating montis and 4 encrusting, I put my plating montis towards the to of my tank and let them do their thing. And my encrustings 2 of them are placed on rock, and 2 are fragged on the bottom, which is me being kind of lazy.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back