OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to clear up, even if I took out thr eel and the inverts, I couldn't dose my whole tank to treat for any potential disease

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't sound like velvet based on all your info but read the thread below to better determine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So just to clear up, even if I took out thr eel and the inverts, I couldn't dose my whole tank to treat for any potential disease
If this is fish only, yes but I’d treat eel in separate tank or container
General cure may work

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I have 1 xxl lipstick naso with no room to put him due to his size

In one photo, on my desktop computer, I can see ich spots. While it is possible for a fish to have ich and velvet at the same time, that is pretty rare.

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, still trying to get more photos but it'd proving to be difficult, I'm leaning towards ich more now as the original tang is still active and lively, still has spots which I have now brought treatment for, my large naso has now got some spots on it, mainly on the fins, but it's eating (alot as always) and there is no signs of heavy breathing.

Am I right in thinking ich is alot more treatable than velvet, what would be a good dipping solution for all my fish in the case of ich?

I will be posting more pictures shortly

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, still trying to get more photos but it'd proving to be difficult, I'm leaning towards ich more now as the original tang is still active and lively, still has spots which I have now brought treatment for, my large naso has now got some spots on it, mainly on the fins, but it's eating (alot as always) and there is no signs of heavy breathing.

Am I right in thinking ich is alot more treatable than velvet, what would be a good dipping solution for all my fish in the case of ich?

I will be posting more pictures shortly

You can't cure ich by dipping the fish - there are resting phase tomonts in your tank that will just reinfect the fish when you return them to the tank after the dip. Also, dips are rarely 100% effective.

You would be better off treating all of the fish with hyposalinity or coppersafe, but neither of those can be done with corals or invertebrates present.

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't cure ich by dipping the fish - there are resting phase tomonts in your tank that will just reinfect the fish when you return them to the tank after the dip. Also, dips are rarely 100% effective.

You would be better off treating all of the fish with hyposalinity or coppersafe, but neither of those can be done with corals or invertebrates present.
Hi, thanks for the quick reply, I can catch the inverts as I only have a few shrimp, crabs, and star fish and snails.

Would my eel be effected by the above treatment, also what about my feather duster worms and my 2 nems.

I dont have any coral in my tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for the quick reply, I can catch the inverts as I only have a few shrimp, crabs, and star fish and snails.

Would my eel be effected by the above treatment, also what about my feather duster worms and my 2 nems.

I dont have any coral in my tank.
ALL invertebrates need to be removed, that includes anemones, feather dusters, really any animal that is not a fish. Eels are a special problem - they don't handle either treatment really well. Hyposalinity is likely to be better tolerated.

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALL invertebrates need to be removed, that includes anemones, feather dusters, really any animal that is not a fish. Eels are a special problem - they don't handle either treatment really well. Hyposalinity is likely to be better tolerated.
Hi, I have confirmed I think it must be ich and any fish that are infected still are eating and have not dyed or breathing fast, I have been treating the tank with polyplab medic which is designed to treat the tank for velvet and ich while remaining reef safe, this seems to have already calmed the infection down alot already and I still have a week and a half of treatment left.

Other than 2 of my fish swim infront of the wave makers every now and again is this something they will do while having ich or only with velvet?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have confirmed I think it must be ich and any fish that are infected still are eating and have not dyed or breathing fast, I have been treating the tank with polyplab medic which is designed to treat the tank for velvet and ich while remaining reef safe, this seems to have already calmed the infection down alot already and I still have a week and a half of treatment left.

Other than 2 of my fish swim infront of the wave makers every now and again is this something they will do while having ich or only with velvet?

Swimming into water flow is usually either a low oxygen issue in the water, or velvet. Ich typically only causes that at the end of the infection, and then the fish would not be eating. Have you tried adding extra aeration?

Jay

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming into water flow is usually either a low oxygen issue in the water, or velvet. Ich typically only causes that at the end of the infection, and then the fish would not be eating. Have you tried adding extra aeration?

Jay
Hi, no I haven't add any extra aeration I have turned off the carbon not sure if that's anything to do with it, what would be your recommended why to add extra aeration?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional power head pointed at the surface or add air-stone to the aquarium

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the naso with what I think is the ich, no sure what you think to it.

Attachments

• 20240414_160101.mp4
    51.3 MB
  • 20240414_160054.jpg
    20240414_160054.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240414_160046.jpg
    20240414_160046.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 18

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, no I haven't add any extra aeration I have turned off the carbon not sure if that's anything to do with it, what would be your recommended why to add extra aeration?
Adding proper aeration rules out dissolved gas issues, as well as supporting the fish if they do have breathing issues.

When you say you “turned off the carbon”, what does that mean? Did you turn off a carbon reactor?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the naso with what I think is the ich, no sure what you think to it.

The naso has ich, and they way it is opening its mouth and posturing to be cleaned, it may also have gill flukes (it is also breathing a bit fast).

I'd say that the Polyp Lab Medic is losing ground on this.....

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding proper aeration rules out dissolved gas issues, as well as supporting the fish if they do have breathing issues.

When you say you “turned off the carbon”, what does that mean? Did you turn off a carbon reactor?
Yes I have turn off my carbon reactor as this is what it says for the polyplab medic

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The naso has ich, and they way it is opening its mouth and posturing to be cleaned, it may also have gill flukes (it is also breathing a bit fast).

I'd say that the Polyp Lab Medic is losing ground on this.....
I'm thinking about taking all inverts and nems, father dusters and my eel out and treating the whole system with copper I'm just worried about my beneficial bacteria dying is this a issue.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back