OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated tank shot coming tomorrow (my phone posts them sideways) I just upped my vortechs to 100% and moved in a new resident :) small frogspawn ;)

Attachments

• 20140302_190138.jpg
    20140302_190138.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 348
  • 20140302_190323.jpg
    20140302_190323.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20140302_212620.jpg

IMG_20140302_212511.jpg

Here they are flipped back over. Im sooo happy with the purchase. I need more colors though. Ive been working on an 6 headed acan that i bought as 1 head about 3 months ago. Hoping the vortechs set higher will help make a difference.

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Frogspawn has opened fully. Even sprouted 2 little heads. Cyno has backed off and parameters are the most stable they have ever been.

Just need to settle on a livestock list

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Zoas have doubled since i put them in. Acro on top has encrusted in 3 months and grown faster than ever. The monti cap is growing like a weed. Its gained almost 1/4" in a month and a half now. Frogspawn(monster colony) hasnt shown any size of stress. Frogspawn frag is looking like its ready to split. Torch has started a new head.

I JUST NEED MORE CORAL!!!! Taking donations ;)

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Sounds like things are progressing nicely. Keep up the good work. :)

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RBTA finally bit the dust. After suffering through the move, getting sucked into my sump and not found for 3 weeks. Then being aclimated back into the tank (for light) and hinding under a rock until it finally bit the dust 3 months later. I pulled it before any harm came toward the rest of my tank :( The tank isnt too young for a nem anymore, I think it just went through too much random condition changes after the move.

Question for everyone is do you think I should get another one and if so what kind of nem? I have two picasso clowns that dont host anything but my overflow and i want it to get that to stop.

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my RBTA in a 27gal cube with my snowflake clowns. My clowns in my DT host a frogspawn. I like not having to worry about the RBTA roaming the tank, stinging corals.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i set the tank up yesterday. Filled her up! No leaks on the tank, no leaks from bulk heads, and no leaks from the sump. PHEW!

Heres some pics!
20130806_212053.jpg 20130806_212102.jpg

Now my issue is the sump....

This is how the owner before me set his sump up... (drawn in paint because pics are tough to see the setup)

current sump.jpg

Does this seem a little... off? The fuge has zero flow other than the very small over flow from the ballast.

Wouldnt you want to have the fuge where the pump is, and the pump where the fuge is? Then drill holes in the ballast separating the fuge and the chamber where the pump is?

The idea is to have low flow through the fuge that way the water has more contact time with the stuff in the fuge. Check out melevs model F. That is how I built my sump. I am running bio pellets and will be using my fuge section as a frag tank. My tank is center drilled so this made plumbing my return easy. I like the design I would keep it. If you want more flow in the fuge put a small powerhead in it.

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my RBTA in a 27gal cube with my snowflake clowns. My clowns in my DT host a frogspawn. I like not having to worry about the RBTA roaming the tank, stinging corals.

I cant get them to host anything :(

I have a large frogspawn (about 20 heads) and they wont even get it time of day

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try putting a mirror on the outside of the tank next to what you want them to host, or a picture of a clown fish. I've read that works sometimes. Easy and simple to do, might be worth a shot.

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what will cost you the most will be the lights, and powerheads.
but very nice deal!

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is difficult to get tank raised clowns to host anything. I have had clowns for many years wild caught clowns host anything. tank raised I have had no luck with. The hybrid tank tank raised clowns have no idea what anemone is or what they need to do with it.

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is difficult to get tank raised clowns to host anything. I have had clowns for many years wild caught clowns host anything. tank raised I have had no luck with. The hybrid tank tank raised clowns have no idea what anemone is or what they need to do with it.

My hybrid tank raised clowns went right into the RBTA before it even attached itself to rock, so the instinct is still there and they seem to know what it is.

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea they had nothing in the tank with them other than other clowns when I bought them. I cant even get them to go near the frogspawn as far as touching it. They seem to be focused only on the overflow behind the return spouts. Kind of a bummer considering that I paid a ton for these guys and they dont frolic in any of the lps or the late nem. Maybe once we get settled in the new house next month and after sometime for the tank to get itself back to normalcy I'll try another nem. I really want to get a ritteri anemone because I know I have the flow for it (My sps btw.... taking off with growth. Kalk is king) and id really like to see these clowns host something.

Great looking tank! those Eupyhilla are looking amazing!

Thanks! Still a long way to go!

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You think if i move the nem and the clowns into a more confined space I could I guess "force" them to host. It wouldnt be like Japan subway cramped but, enough for them to get the idea that in the event of being scared you can hide in here and its safe and OMG its like a ocean jungle gym!

Ive heard of people doing the mirror trick, the picture of a clown on a nem/lps. I tried that for a few min but never got anywhere. Mirror only made the alpha clown want to fight (shes a piece of work)

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up an almost fully matured Carpenter flasher wrasse and a fairy wrasse. They are still very timid so I dont want to try to scare them with a picture. Seem to be right at home but, very skiddish for now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back