Status
Not open for further replies.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several ways to tackle this. Sounds like you're moving towards one already. But a couple of things to consider here. InkBird is highly recommended because they work, I've had mine going on 3 years, not a single hiccup. If you have a problem, it's probably either a faulty unit, or something is going on with your wifi connection. I have mine running on a 2.4GHz/5GHz mixed network without issue. Changing your heater to a Wifi Heater may not fix the issue if it's your wifi connection. Also, the placement of the controller which houses the wifi antenna is key. It should not be behind the aquarium where the aquarium is in the direct path of the Wifi controller to the Router supplying the Wifi... The signal won't pass through the aquarium with enough strength left over to keep a stable connection. This will be true of any wifi device you get for your aquarium.

OP
OP
Fredinva

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several ways to tackle this. Sounds like you're moving towards one already. But a couple of things to consider here. InkBird is highly recommended because they work, I've had mine going on 3 years, not a single hiccup. If you have a problem, it's probably either a faulty unit, or something is going on with your wifi connection. I have mine running on a 2.4GHz/5GHz mixed network without issue. Changing your heater to a Wifi Heater may not fix the issue if it's your wifi connection. Also, the placement of the controller which houses the wifi antenna is key. It should not be behind the aquarium where the aquarium is in the direct path of the Wifi controller to the Router supplying the Wifi... The signal won't pass through the aquarium with enough strength left over to keep a stable connection. This will be true of any wifi device you get for your aquarium.
they work until they no longer work,,,,,thank you

OP
OP
Fredinva

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*smh* some people won't learn, unless they learn the hard way
LOL well, you suggested a controller... I got an inkbird, its faulty. not buying another one.
got the wifi eheim on the way!!!
smh I learn! been in this hobby plenty long enough (since 67)

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL well, you suggested a controller... I got an inkbird, its faulty. not buying another one.
got the wifi eheim on the way!!!
smh I learn! been in this hobby plenty long enough (since 67)
I think we were suggesting something more modern/advanced than just the inkbird, like a hydros or apex controller. It would solve all the issues you've brought up in this thread.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they work until they no longer work,,,,,thank you
Doesn't this apply to literally everything? Including the new eheim wifi heater you're getting? I was merely pointing out that what you've described with your current InkBird sounds like it *could* be a faulty unit, but it could also be your wifi... In fact "it sometimes gives me fits" almost certainly points to a wireless issue, as intermittent problems are not generally hardware related when dealing with solid state technology. And your complete lack of understanding of current technologies (Bluetooth, NFC, and Wifi) is why I thought I would bring up other avenues of thought surrounding the subject. But you do you... Maybe next time you ask for help on a forum, and someone tries to help you, you will be more open minded rather than use quippy retorts...

OP
OP
Fredinva

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As your title states: bluetooth. You can't do anything with that while on vacation.

Get an apex.

If you are worried about your tank while on vacation. You are not doing it right.
Yeah, title says bluetooth,. But if you read all the posts, you would see I decided on a WIFI Eheim!!
btw, a lot of things can happen in a week while on vacation,,,, duh!

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of really obnoxious posts in this thread. While, yes, there aren't any real benefits of remote control for a heater, being able to see your temp and confirm it's working while you're away is absolutely a valid use case.

The OP got what they wanted. There's no more need for snarky comments and ignorant posts. Think about what you're arguing here and whether or not you're adding value or being useful to anyone in any way. Some folks need some time in the corner around here.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of really obnoxious posts in this thread. While, yes, there aren't any real benefits of remote control for a heater, being able to see your temp and confirm it's working while you're away is absolutely a valid use case.

The OP got what they wanted. There's no more need for snarky comments and ignorant posts. Think about what you're arguing here and whether or not you're adding value or being useful to anyone in any way. Some folks need some time in the corner around here.
Value in adding 2 heaters.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Value in adding 2 heaters.
I didn't quote your post. And, yes, valuable information. But other than being on the topic of heaters in general, not really relevant to the OP's post about NFC/Bluetooth/WiFi connected heaters.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't quote your post. And, yes, valuable information. But other than being on the topic of heaters in general, not really relevant to the OP's post about NFC/Bluetooth/WiFi connected heaters.
I didn't quote your post either.

Just trying to knock some sense into '67

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back