IceCap K1 Nano Issues/Review/Mods

Gnawsome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon, I'm not sure if this is the correct part of the forum to post this(Maybe in Nano forums?) , as it is my second post on the forum.

For background, I have a Nuvo Fusion 20 AIO tank that has been up and running for about 1.5 weeks now. I initially installed a Tunze Comline 9001 Skimmer in the center chamber of the tank. After installing the Tunze ATO I realized that the Tunze 9001 would interfere with the ATO sensors, and I would much prefer to have a skimmer in the second chamber as opposed to the middle chamber.

One benefit of having a protein skimmer in the 2nd chamber of the tank would be that the water level is always consistent and I wouldn't have to change the height of the skimmer as often.

After doing some searching I found the IceCap K1 Nano skimmer. The dimensions would allow it to fit nicely in the 2nd chamber of the tank, and the water level of this chamber (8 Inches) fell within the suggested 6-9" of the skimmer.

I purchased the skimmer and today it arrived.

Upon unboxing the skimmer, I noticed that the ring that holds the rubber gasket on the collection cup had broken. This was an easy fix with some super glue.

20190304_121505.jpg

You can see in the attached image a few cracks where I super glued the ring back on. I'm assuming this is due to shipping.

I've seen a ton of reviews that suggest the tuning of this skimmer is "finicky." After installing it myself I very quickly realized that this difficulty in tuning was due to the gated valve being an extremely tight fit. It would then bind making it very difficult to open or close in small adjustments. I took a file to the gated valve and now that its smaller it still snugly closes, but it moves freely with the adjustments of the set screw.

I've attached an image of the gated valve that needs to be sanded/filed down some. I'm assuming not all of them need this but mine definitely did out of the box.

20190304_113620.jpg

After sanding this down and reinserting onto the skimmer body, I super glued it on as it was not the tightest fit, and I wanted to ensure it did not come out when making adjustments. The attached image shows the hole that I super glued the gate valve onto:

20190304_113635.jpg

After that was reattached I tightened up the nut on the adjustment arm so that it was super snug.

20190304_113649.jpg

I then reassembled everything and put it back in the tank. The skimmer is now much more quiet, and the adjustment arm is super easy to rotate and much more responsive. I can now control the height of the bubbles in the collection cup very accurately.

I really like the design of the skimmer, but obviously quality control is straight garbage. I'll known in a month or two whether this thing actually skims, but I see no reason as to why it wouldn't!

There are a ton of micro bubbles, which according to most other reviews and skimmer common knowledge should go down in the next few weeks. If they do not I will simply attach some filter sock to the gate valve output.

Thanks!
20190304_153342.jpg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Nano skimmers are really important if we SPS is desired, and theres no refugium,. Thank you for sharing

Kevin3221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gnawsome Hello I just got one of these for my 25g lagoon. And for some reason some reason no matter what I do it keeps over flowing any ideas or something you think I can do to fix this? Thank you
image.jpg

kamla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys..

how is the IceCap K1 Nano skimmer working out for you guys?

eric.battani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys..

how is the IceCap K1 Nano skimmer working out for you guys?

I can’t comment on how the original thread posters skimmer is doing but I can comment about mine for you. Mine has been running for most of this year and I love it. I don’t have the micro bubble issue. But it is finicky. You must keep the water level around it stable. So you will need a good ato. But other than that I love mine

Also I had to do one more mod to mine after installing. I took a small piece of rubber and partially plugged one on the holes on the bottom of the air silencer to make it quiet down. Now I don’t hear it.

kamla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t comment on how the original thread posters skimmer is doing but I can comment about mine for you. Mine has been running for most of this year and I love it. I don’t have the micro bubble issue. But it is finicky. You must keep the water level around it stable. So you will need a good ato. But other than that I love mine

Also I had to do one more mod to mine after installing. I took a small piece of rubber and partially plugged one on the holes on the bottom of the air silencer to make it quiet down. Now I don’t hear it.

@eric.battani could show what you did to silence the skimmer?
i bought the same one, it pulls a lot :) but it is a bit loud

thax for your help

jamiemc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eric.battani could show what you did to silence the skimmer?
i bought the same one, it pulls a lot :) but it is a bit loud

thax for your help
There is a small hole at the bottom of the silencer "Where the white tube is connected to silencer " , I blocked the hole and it silenced the pump quite considerably

blancaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a small hole at the bottom of the silencer "Where the white tube is connected to silencer " , I blocked the hole and it silenced the pump quite considerably
I saw in another post that someone used a small screw and put it in the silencer hole. I did this, now you can barely hear the skimmer! But.... where is it getting it’s air from now????

matteo81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon, I'm not sure if this is the correct part of the forum to post this(Maybe in Nano forums?) , as it is my second post on the forum.

For background, I have a Nuvo Fusion 20 AIO tank that has been up and running for about 1.5 weeks now. I initially installed a Tunze Comline 9001 Skimmer in the center chamber of the tank. After installing the Tunze ATO I realized that the Tunze 9001 would interfere with the ATO sensors, and I would much prefer to have a skimmer in the second chamber as opposed to the middle chamber.

One benefit of having a protein skimmer in the 2nd chamber of the tank would be that the water level is always consistent and I wouldn't have to change the height of the skimmer as often.

After doing some searching I found the IceCap K1 Nano skimmer. The dimensions would allow it to fit nicely in the 2nd chamber of the tank, and the water level of this chamber (8 Inches) fell within the suggested 6-9" of the skimmer.

I purchased the skimmer and today it arrived.

Upon unboxing the skimmer, I noticed that the ring that holds the rubber gasket on the collection cup had broken. This was an easy fix with some super glue.

20190304_121505.jpg

You can see in the attached image a few cracks where I super glued the ring back on. I'm assuming this is due to shipping.

I've seen a ton of reviews that suggest the tuning of this skimmer is "finicky." After installing it myself I very quickly realized that this difficulty in tuning was due to the gated valve being an extremely tight fit. It would then bind making it very difficult to open or close in small adjustments. I took a file to the gated valve and now that its smaller it still snugly closes, but it moves freely with the adjustments of the set screw.

I've attached an image of the gated valve that needs to be sanded/filed down some. I'm assuming not all of them need this but mine definitely did out of the box.

20190304_113620.jpg

After sanding this down and reinserting onto the skimmer body, I super glued it on as it was not the tightest fit, and I wanted to ensure it did not come out when making adjustments. The attached image shows the hole that I super glued the gate valve onto:

20190304_113635.jpg

After that was reattached I tightened up the nut on the adjustment arm so that it was super snug.

20190304_113649.jpg

I then reassembled everything and put it back in the tank. The skimmer is now much more quiet, and the adjustment arm is super easy to rotate and much more responsive. I can now control the height of the bubbles in the collection cup very accurately.

I really like the design of the skimmer, but obviously quality control is straight garbage. I'll known in a month or two whether this thing actually skims, but I see no reason as to why it wouldn't!

There are a ton of micro bubbles, which according to most other reviews and skimmer common knowledge should go down in the next few weeks. If they do not I will simply attach some filter sock to the gate valve output.

Thanks!
20190304_153342.jpg
I’m having issues man too . My tanks been running a few months on the 25 IM lagoon it’s in the second chamber but I’m not getting the the bubbles z just water . No matter if I adjust it or not . Any ideas ?

matteo81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having issues man too . My tanks been running a few months on the 25 IM lagoon it’s in the second chamber but I’m not getting the the bubbles z just water . No matter if I adjust it or not . Any ideas ?
Same issue what do we do ??? No mine knows lol

ReefDunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you all fixing it/attaching it to the tank wall? It looks like everyone has removed the magnet ring. Are everyones tanks just shorter than my 40 gal. I want this skimmer to work, but the magnet ring wont let it fit. How do I install it without the magnet ring?

Brianscherer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depth of the skimmer in the water is key at least in my case, it recommends 6-9 inches but I suggest you go to 9 and then tune the gage valve till you get a steady foam build up.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back