Tuning an EXTERNAL protein skimmer (advice requested)

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've adjusted enough internal skimmers that I get the basics of water height, pump speed/bubble delivery. However, external skimmers are a little different.

Water height - Same as internal but adjusted with a gate valve instead of a sump's water level. - This controls how tall you require the foam head to be before it pours into the cup.
Air - Same as internal - If the water is clean, reducing the air will prevent bubbles from popping too early. If it's dirty, more air will pull more waste.
Water delivery - Different than internal. - I'm actually lost on the impact of flowing more or less water into an external skimmer.

Can somebody explain how water delivery on an external skimmer impacts the way the skimmer functions?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more flow the higher the water level inside the skimmer.
Usually, the mfg. gives you a suggested level with a line or reference point.
More contact time with slower flow, this can also be accomplished by the assembly that controls the exit flow of the skimmer.
With this design the water level in the skimmer remains constant, regardless of the sump height because of a separate pump used to supply the water. The skimmer can also run in the sump if desired with o affect. I ran mine in the sump for years because of a very slow leak.
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, mine is in the sump now. I think it's working well but I feel like it can do better.

I've come to learn that if you it is for MAXIMUM efficiency then you're playing with fire. It's going to find more organics later and fill the cup with nearly clean water.

However, if you're too conservative you barely collect any skimmate. So here I am trying to learn all the theory and its application. That's made a little tricky by the fact that 99% of the videos on youtube are geared for internal skimmers.

Still, I'm getting it.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound like you have either, or both, a low bio load--an oversized skimmer.
That's trouble from the get-go.

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound like you have either, or both, a low bio load--an oversized skimmer.
That's trouble from the get-go.
Maybe. I just downsized to a Reef Oct 150ext from a red sea 600dc.

The neck is a good deal narrower and in theory the recirculating feature should be better at getting dissolved organics from relatively clean water.

Using a fleece roller really reduces the size of your ideal skimmer.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it does according to those who know more than me.
Quite a downgrade there, you should get better results.
Wide necked units need a lot of dissolved organics in the water to run right.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck with your tuning? I just put a classic 110 ext on my dt because i have no sump. I have it fed with a sicce sycra 2.0 and i ve been playing with tuning.

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck with your tuning? I just put a classic 110 ext on my dt because i have no sump. I have it fed with a sicce sycra 2.0 and i ve been playing with tuning.
Yes, I think I have it dialed in now. I had it with the original pump but I also bought a DC pump so I could adjust it that way. It's clearly not necessary but I like it. Here is a picture with the varios-2 pump on it.

IMG_9964.jpeg

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been making lines with a bistro pen to monitor the daily skimmate production. It looks about right to me.
IMG_9965.jpeg
Possible to post a video of the bubble making process so i can gauge tuning against what i have? Im honestly not sure what a tuned skimmer is supposed to look like. I can get it so my bubbles look similar in the reaction chamber and larger bubbles pop up in the throat and a small amount of bubbles might reach the cup. How long was yours tuned before you started collecting skimmate? That skimmate is more liquid than i was thinking would be collected in the cup. This is a new toy for me so i appericate any input.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I now see its a waiting game for me. I have the skinmer tuned better thsn i thought. I just need to chill and let it break in. They really should put instructions in for the nubies! Thank you for your reply!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back